New paint on 63LCC

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
Sal
Dedicated Enthusiast

New paint on 63LCC

Post by Sal »

Hi All

Well, I finally decided to do it.. I'm changing the color of my 63LCC from Black Cherry Pearl to Black, which is its original color.
As we all know, a decent paint job is big bucks, so I made a deal with the shop owner. With a little "sweat equity", I agreed to pull off every bit
of chrome and stainless off the car, to include door panels, sill plates, rear seat, package tray and anything else that needed to be removed
to prep for paint. I placed all the small parts in plastic bags along with the hardware and appropriate label. There were some screws missing and I will post what I need in the wanted section in the near future.
After talking with a few paint experts, I decided to go with a base coat/clear coat. There was one gent who said that a single stage would look just as good and would be easier to touch up. Anyway it will take about 1 month for the process, to include some minor bodywork.
Cheers, Sal
Attachments
DSC_0029.JPG
DSC_0031.JPG
NewLincolnMan
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: New paint on 63LCC

Post by NewLincolnMan »

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of price are you paying? Shopping around for some quotes right now so want to know if they're in a decent ballpark. But I guess that depends on what I can afford, doesn't it?

NLM
black63lincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by black63lincoln »

Good luck with the new paint Sal.

Wasnt that a fairly new paint job that was on there?
Todd
Sal
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Sal »

Hi Todd..

Yes it was, but not a great job. They could have prepared the surface better. Otherwise, I really, really, really like black. I guess you know what I mean!

I hope all is well with you on the West Coast! Cheers, Sal
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Wow, that's a lot of work to do!

I also really liked your color, but it is your car!

Take care, and I have a bunch of screws, so let me know what you need.

Stu
black63lincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by black63lincoln »

Im sure it will turn out great Sal, make sure to post more pics..

Good work on removing all the peak moulding. Thats a tough job.
Todd
joeinbcs
Lincoln Maniac

Post by joeinbcs »

Hey Sal,
Good luck on your paint job.
Just a few things that my guy is doing...
After sanding/razoring off the existing paint, he's sealing and doing a couple of coats of primer, then, removing all of the door glass, all of the doors, and starting from the inside out. I don't know if this is standard, but I'm glad he's doing it this way. Haven't actually bought the paint yet (it will be a two-stage), but I'm told that there are some decisions to be made...new products all the time, I guess. Once I've had that discussion and decided exactly which product I'm using, I'll post it. Would be interested in your choices...
I understand the attraction that black holds...that was my first love on these cars, and what I would still prefer. But, I guess I'll just have to get another...maybe a convertible like yours...in order to have a black one.
Keep us posted on your progress...its sounds like it will proceed faster than mine! Joe
Joe Northrop, College Station, TX
1956 Continental Mark II, C56G3159,Black/Black Bolsters and Welting, Deep Red Leather Biscuits, 460, C6, Disk Brakes
Sal
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Sal »

Hi Joe..

Like I said, the real reason for black is that it is the original color of the car. Sounds like a restoration on your 63, I'm only getting a paint job!!!

Todd
I would really like to do what you have done on your Lincolns, restore inside, outside and underneath!! I just don't have the time, patience and tools
to do it properly. I'm happy with a nice driver.
Next year I will prpbably replace the carpet and the underlayment/soundproofing. I'll post more photos as I take them.
Cheers, Sal
CVLincoln
Frequent Contributor

Post by CVLincoln »

That car looks great as is, but I understand fully :-)

Painting cars for a few years myself, what will probably happen here if there is little to no bodywork to be done is a full sand, sealer, and then the paint. If you want a good block sand the surfacer will go on under the sealer first. Then of course after the paint goes on will be the wet sand/buff if you wanted that slick surface which most people do.

The type of paint will depend on what you want on the car. Single stage will be more cost effective in most cases, and will still look great in a quality material if you chose to go that route, but some paint brands in single stage are getting harder to get in the upper quality lines so ask the shop. My advise is not to let them talk you into a value line single stage it just won't look as good, especially black, just to save a few bucks.

If you chose BC/CC it will be more durable for a driver because of the clear's UV protection, and the surface have a bit more depth over a quality single stage when done right. Modern clears have come a long way also so it's hard not to get a good looking job that will hold out very well over the years even in the value lines if that is what they spray on the car.

The brands, the shop will have one they are use to so unless you specify you will get what they give ya :-)
Sal
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Sal »

Hi All.

I visited my 63LCC today at the shop and here's the update. The car was sanded down, any imperfections were corrected. There was a small rust spot under the drivers
side rocker moulding under the rear door that he repaired. Then he sprayed the car with a polyester fill/primer and painted black stripes for reference. The next step is to
block sand the whole car. As he explained, the black stripes are used to find the high/low spots as the car is being sanded. He said that since the car is being painted black, it is very important to make sure it is absolutely straight. Once he is happy with the block sanding, he will prime the car and sand again to prepare for paint.
Anyway it's nice to see some progress! In the first photo, he showed me how it looks when starting to block sand.
Cheers, Sal
Attachments
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG (184.85 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG (167.46 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG (150.33 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Neat color! Kinda ghostish!!!!
black63lincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by black63lincoln »

That procedure they are doing with the misting of the black paint over the primer is called guide coat.

Looks like they are doing a good job on it.. Cant wait to see her black.
Todd
Sal
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Sal »

Hi All..

Well, one month is quickly turning into two months but I'm certainly not gonna push the shop owner to quickly finish it. He said that next week he will prime the car. In the mean time, I sent the clock back to clockworks for repair and I found the little parts that I needed from Tim Nill. He's the gent that bought the Lincoln yard from John Cashman. Actually, I called John to see if he had the small parts (which he didn't) and he advised me to call Tim. Tim had all the small items I needed. I hope to have more photos next week. Cheers, Sal
Sal
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Sal »

Hi All

Here with some more progress to show on my 63LCC. After the guide coat and some block sanding, the shop owner continued with more guide coats
(dye in the polyester) to block sand again. The doors have been removed and are being block sanded separately. Once he's satisfied that all the panels, doors are straight, he'll prime everything and paint. Should be looking at another week or so. Anyway, here are the pics:
DSC_0245.JPG
DSC_0245.JPG (135.96 KiB) Viewed 886 times
CHeers, Sal
Attachments
DSC_0251.JPG
DSC_0251.JPG (135.96 KiB) Viewed 886 times
DSC_0247.JPG
DSC_0247.JPG (131.73 KiB) Viewed 886 times
DSC_0249.JPG
DSC_0249.JPG (102.52 KiB) Viewed 886 times
Sal
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Sal »

Hi All

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!! My 63LCC has been freshly painted and tomorrow it gets a good polishing!!
I may have it back by the weekend if all goes well. You can see some slight orange peel that will vanish with a good rub-out.
Here's some pre-polish photos:
DSC_0089.JPG
DSC_0089.JPG (187.43 KiB) Viewed 802 times
Attachments
DSC_0090.JPG
DSC_0090.JPG (150.96 KiB) Viewed 802 times
DSC_0088.JPG
DSC_0088.JPG (155.31 KiB) Viewed 802 times
DSC_0087.JPG
DSC_0087.JPG (181.01 KiB) Viewed 802 times