1964 Lincoln.... Picture Happy

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
ACC
Occasional Visitor

1964 Lincoln.... Picture Happy

Post by ACC »

I finally picked up my Lincoln from my parents house. She was sitting in the garage for about 9-10 years neglected... My mother used her as shelves for all her boxes. So I decided to finally tow her to my house to start a little bit of work.

Quick rundown.... My dad bought the car in 1992 from a widow in Carmel, Ca. Her husband had passed away so she started to sell off all his toys. We believe that they were the original owners, but really can't verify. I was 12 at the time and I remember seeing a 1950 something T-bird in the garage next to the Lincoln. The T-bird looked clean, nothing around it, but the Lincoln had a couch laying across the hood! This would not be the last time she had something laying across her hood.. LOL. My father drove her home with no problems. In 93' a drunk driver rear ended the left quarter panel. He took the car to the body shop and had her fixed. On my 17th birthday, my dad handed me the keys and said it was mine! So just like any teenager... I ripped her apart. It just shows that these Lincolns were built to last. I almost drove her in the ground. 100 mph on the I-15, drove her throught the desert, 360's in the parking lots... you name it, I did it or tried it. 18 Years later, here I am trying to make her pretty.

I've got the timing gears and chain (read down below and you'll see what I found), Pertronix II, new oil pump and shaft, and a few odd's and ends.

Here are some pictures.... Ill keep adding as I go! Enjoy.

Here she is getting loaded up on the Tow Truck

This is when I brought her home. I washed off about 10 years of dirt and dust. She looks good about 15 feet away!

I pulled the fuel tank. The tank was about 3/4's full.... PITA!!!

The tank on the right is the one I pulled from the car. The one on the left is a tank my dad pulled from a salvage yard. My tank is dirty and dented, but the extra tank is clean and appears to be sealed. Im having difficulty trying to verify if its an actual 64 tank. The only difference is a little nob on the top portion of the extra tank. Maybe someone can verify.

The fuel sending unit on the left was pulled out of my car. The one on the right was pulled from the extra tank. There are some differences, but damn near identical... if that makes sense. :lol: The extra unit's number is C4 F-9275-B. My original is C4 F-9275-A. ????

I found this up under the seat... I think its a build sheet???? After decoding it, the car was built in the Seattle plant and shipped and sold in the bay area.

This is actually a radiator out of a 65. We pulled it from one of our parts car when I blew the water pump.

This is probably the best pic. Not only was there $5 worth of change, but notice that there is Lip Liner/makeup and a hair pin under the seat. My wife is my high school sweetheart and she saw this and mentioned that it wasn't hers!!! I really tried to explain that it was possibly my sisters or a girlfriend prior to her, but it didn't work LOL. 13 years later I still have some explaining to do!!

The Fuel pump on the right is a true 3-port?????

My first "father and son" project on the car was to replace the thermostat. I remember that my hands were small enough to put the bolts back on the resevoir. My father said," make sure that thermostat doesnt slip down. If it does, we'll find out sooner or later". If you can see on the upper left corner, you can see that the thermostat did slip, I actually tighten it down in the wrong position. LOL. 18 years later Im able to correct my mistake.

Im now in the process of pulling the front end of the engine off to replace the timing components, while replacing a new water pump, thermostat etc. As you can see, its nasty down there, but trust me, this is a pic after I pressure washed everything. I found those water diverters that everyone recommends pulling. Once I pull them, what would be the next step? When I put the water pump back on should I just make the gasket seal around it????

We have had the car since 1992. The engine has 174K miles on it. As I was tearing apart everything I noticed that some of the bolts were coming off too easy. I pulled one bolt off the timing cover and noticed that it was the only one without a washer. Everything in that area was very "loose" which led me to believe that someone had done some type of engine of work. When I pulled the cover I found metal sprockets vice the plastic doo hickies that everyone says is voodoo for these engines.

Is this too much slack??... I know, horrible picture.

Could someone tell me what this is? It fell off when I pulled the cover. I also dropped the shaft for the fuel pump into oil pan :( Ill keep adding pics as I fix and screw things up. Hopefully this will help someone out later on down the line.

ACC
vashtsdaytona
Lincoln Maniac

Re: 1964 Lincoln.... Picture Happy

Post by vashtsdaytona »

cool build thread keep the pics comming.

the half moon deally, is a woodruff key. you will find a slot for it on the snout of the crank shaft, opposite the long woodruff key that indexs the lower timming gear. the smaller one indexs the front pulley/damper/steering pump (any of those, im not that familar with the 462s as to whats on the front) but yea feel on the underside of the crank there will be a slot. and whatever you pulled off the crank will have a notch in it to line up.
1969 Conti 4dr 460cid
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

Thanks for the pictorial & story. Good to hear you're going to revive the car. Must be nice to have a '64 with so much memories. Nice color combo by the way (hope you keep it). Carmel, Ca.; I think I bought a replacement windshield for $100 (!) there in 2006.

Good luck with the project!
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Sweet ride, and welcome! I have just one correction for your information. Your car was built in Wixom, Mchigan. Seattle was probably the DSO and then was transferred to a California sales office - My car had an Iowa DSO but was sold new in Kingman, Arizona which is where I bought it.

I also love the color combination! Keep the photos coming - this forum is a little "ADD" unless there are pictures! :D
Rob
JimLinc62
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimLinc62 »

Neat story. Nice car and looks to be in better shape than I expected after reading your "typical teenager-tearing apart" phase. :D
ACC wrote:I found this up under the seat... I think its a build sheet???? After decoding it, the car was built in the Seattle plant and shipped and sold in the bay area.
You're right, that's the build sheet. I think what it probably says though, is the car was shipped to (DSO) Seattle (not built in the Seattle plant) as all Lincoln's were built at the Wixom (Michigan) plant. The build sheet could not identify where the car was actually first sold. Maybe you have other docs that show it was sold in the Bay Area (?)

Yours is my color of choice (not sure why :smt017) for most all the slabsides. Good Luck with it!
1962 Convertible
Sultana White/Light Honey Beige
A/C - Tinted Glass - Auto Headlight Dimmer - Pwr. Seat 6-way - Elec. Ant.
Build Date: 02/06
ACC
Occasional Visitor

Post by ACC »

Thanks all! Ill be sure to check out the woodruff key and ensure I put it back the way I found it. In reference the build sheet, I think I might put it in a ziplock bag to preserve it. Maybe one day I can make a folder with all documents showing some of the history of the car... Just a tip I saw on Barrett's auction show.

We had purchased 2 parts cars since we've owned this specific 64. A 65 which we sold to the salvage yard and 64 parts that I still have. The reason I think it was originally sold in the bay area is because I remember pulling a dealer frame off one of the cars... but Im thinking it was off my blue 64....??? Seeing that my dad bought the car in Carmel, Ca...(kinda close to the bay area), I think it would be a good assumption.

I love the color of light blue. It has had only one repaint on it. And I do plan on keeping it the original color. Not only do the slabsides stick out in traffic but that blue will really make it stick out. When I had it towed to my house, people were slowing down in traffic trying to take a look at the car! LOL
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

I enjoyed the story and the pics! How's the interior? I noticed there was a dash piece under the back seat.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
ACC
Occasional Visitor

Post by ACC »

Thanks Linc. The interior is shot. The seats need to redone and it looks like the previous owner tried putting some type of restorer on the seats. Now the seats are pealing. The power seats work well too. The window switches are worn for there age but I couldn't get the windows to roll up. Thanks to somebody on this site, I was able to jump the window switches with a car battery.

My dad and I pulled the carpet and bought some cheap stuff just to put in. My dad pulled the dash to see if an 8 track would fit in there, it didnt, and he never put the dash back on. Head liner is ripped towards the reading lights and the removalable top dashboard has one crack in it. Ill post some pics when I head home.
blue68
Lincoln Maniac

Post by blue68 »

Hey Reijer, give him the link to the deverters he said something about pulling them out and they need to stay in I believe.
1968 lincoln continental
2006 300c
2005 tahoe
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

Nicely spotted blue68.

Behind the waterpump are two small block thermostats (remove them and do not replace them) & there are two water diverters which you do need. They divert the flow of coolant to the cylinder heads. They 're $90 to $95 at the Usual Suspects or you can DIY a set; My mechanic made these two water diverters out of old pieces of steel tubing.

Good luck,
Reijer

66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

The slack in your timing chain looks about the same as mine. I just installed a new set and have less than 5 hours total engine run time (just test time.) Mine still looks like brand new, but the chain has about 3/8" slack on one side with the other side tight.
Rob
Rick Crunelle
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Rick Crunelle »

I was going to suggest pulling the pan to see if there are any broken timing gear pieces there. If the previous owner had the gear replaced because the nylon teeth fell apart, I'd be willing to bet they didn't pull the pan to get the pieces out. But it looks like you are going to pull the pan anyway (to get the oil pump shaft). So check for the pieces in the oil pan, and install a new oil pump while you are at it.
Rick

1963 LCC
ACC
Occasional Visitor

Post by ACC »

Reijer,

Where are the thermostats located? I see the quarter size plug where you would detach the water pump. Are those it? I dont want to pull the wrong item.... Thanks for the heads up.

Rick,

The 2 times I pulled the pan, I didnt see any teeth down there. I do plan on pulling the pan. I bought a new pump from the one of the usual's, but since I've pulled the Timing cover, I might as well. I have a new timing set but Im debating whether I should replace the metal set that is in there already. When my dad bought the car, it had around 107k on the engine, but theres no telling how long ago prior to that the PO installed the metal set. So at least 65K has been put on the timing set that is in car now. Do you guys think it would be best just to replace the set while I've got it turn apart?
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

Check out this drawing; block thermostats in the two smaller inner holes, water diverters are in the two larger outer holes.

toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

I love your story about the thermostat- great memories!

Keep those pictures coming!
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS