POST YOUR WHEEL AND TIRE PICS.

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

linconrod
Frequent Contributor

Re: POST YOUR WHEEL AND TIRE PICS.

Post by linconrod »

Willbflyn you did a better job picking out rims than most people the strait spokes complement the strait lines on our cars. How close are they from hitting and remember to see it at its worst withthe wheels turned full locked with the suspension compressed. If my rims where any wider I was going to try a old drag racer's trick where you take a wooden baseball bat and put it in between the tire and fender and slowly drive forward. I didnt have to do that but to run the only rims and tires I wanted I would have done it. If it only hits one spot when the wheels are turned then try grinding just that inside lip. Good luck
Maurice
Frequent Contributor

Post by Maurice »

JonW wrote:Finally got to take some quick shots out in the driveway today. Wheels are 17" chrome US Mags with 235/60 BFGs. I wanted a more period-correct look.

Same here, our cars got of bit of the same look now. In this case American Racing 420 polished aluminum 15x7 front, 15x8 rear with Cooper Trendsetter SE tires 235x15x7.5.

Continental Mark III 1970
linconrod
Frequent Contributor

Post by linconrod »

Lookin good Bro
willbflyn
Occasional Visitor

Post by willbflyn »

linconrod wrote:Willbflyn you did a better job picking out rims than most people the strait spokes complement the strait lines on our cars. How close are they from hitting and remember to see it at its worst withthe wheels turned full locked with the suspension compressed. If my rims where any wider I was going to try a old drag racer's trick where you take a wooden baseball bat and put it in between the tire and fender and slowly drive forward. I didnt have to do that but to run the only rims and tires I wanted I would have done it. If it only hits one spot when the wheels are turned then try grinding just that inside lip. Good luck

Thank you on the compliment! I bought one of those fender rollers, that roll the inside lip (I think the same idea as the bat). I have only rolled one front fender so far. It helps a little but not much. I think for me to lower it the 2" I want it's gonna take some body work and I'm not sure it's worth it. I probably just lower the front as much as I can and just level the back up to match.
Attachments
image.jpg
Cross threads is better than no threads!!!
Dodger92

Post by Dodger92 »

Hey Willbflyn...........you mentioned to 61Nate that a static lowering of 3" in front and 2" in the rear can be done for around $300. Would you please state how and with what parts specifically???

Thanks man.
Rides:
68 LC 4 door Sedan
2010 Harley Roadglide (26" wheel, chopped, raked)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z38RqbLB6w
willbflyn
Occasional Visitor

Post by willbflyn »

In the picture above of my car. I have 3" blocks in the rear and nothing in the front(probably some sag from age on the front springs). I don't think with my current setup of wheels and spacers I can get the 2" I wanna lower it in the front without a lot of rubbing. But, you can get the blocks for the rear and U boots for about 100 bucks (there are posts on here about them) and Eaton 2" lowering springs for the front for about 200. Im gonna heat my front springs cause I can lower my car 2" in the front.

I can dig up the info if you need it or email you some reciepts of stuff that I ordered .
Cross threads is better than no threads!!!
Dodger92

Post by Dodger92 »

That would be great! Thanks for the info. My email is: tbowen57@msn.com

Cheers.
Rides:
68 LC 4 door Sedan
2010 Harley Roadglide (26" wheel, chopped, raked)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z38RqbLB6w
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I just thought I'd post my wheel and tire set-up in this thread with all the info condensed from my original thread, so one would not have to read through all 3 pages of the process, if they were interested in using this set-up with 70's deep dish or turbine wheels on a 60's slabside.

I had to grind and remove the front drum rivets, add longer wheel studs and use hub centric rings to get them mounted correctly. Zero issues with clearance or rubbing, too. BTW

Wheels: 1976 Lincoln Mark IV forged aluminum deep dish wheels. 15x6, 5x5 bolt pattern, 4" backspacing

Tires: Diamondback Tires DBII series 235-75R15 with 1.6" white wall

studs: Dorman brand 1/2-20 x 2.25" with .619 knurl

hub centric rings: 72mm x 78mm
Attachments
lincww1.jpg
lincww3.jpg
Last edited by Suicidekid63 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
bax

Post by bax »

Hey guys,
Newbie here...have a '68 Conti sedan (pearl white w/black top) and looking for the correct offset to use for 20x8.5 (255/45/20) front and 20x10 (275/40/20) rear. The wheels I'm looking at (Eagle 227's) are custom drilled to each build, so I can get exactly what I want.

It was suggested to go with +8 front and +10 rear, but I would like to get your opinion before I pull the trigger.

Much appreciated.
prjeschk

Post by prjeschk »

American Racing Daytona 20x8.5(+5) front and 20x9.5(+15) rear. Tires are Pirelli P-Zero 275/40R20 rear and 245/45R20 front.
20140606_130857.jpg
20140606_130917.jpg
'68 Continental Sedan
'69 Mark iii
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Looking good there
ilrt66
Occasional Visitor

Post by ilrt66 »

New wheels coming out from american racing very Lincoln/Cad looking.
Maurice
Frequent Contributor

Post by Maurice »

ilrt66 wrote:New wheels coming out from american racing very Lincoln/Cad looking.
Great looking wheels! 8)
They remind me of the original optional Mark 4 & 5 rims, only the AMR wheels look much better.
Continental Mark III 1970
mr.niftie
Frequent Contributor

Post by mr.niftie »

Where'd you get those nice Lincoln valve caps.
1973 Lincoln Mark IV Silver Edition, full load
2014 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid RIP
"They even have the Internet for computers now."
Homer Simpson
JonW
Lincoln Maniac

Post by JonW »

ilrt66 wrote:New wheels coming out from american racing very Lincoln/Cad looking.
Any more info on those? I couldn't find them on the AR website.
1962 Continental resto-mod
Yeah, it's got a Hemi
1979 Mark V 1 of 1
Triple Turquoise
1979 Mark V Bill Blass Edition

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”