1957 Convertible

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.

1957 Convertible

Postby mjs » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:48 pm

So I managed to get my car to the upholstery shop yesterday. I had originally planned on getting it to them on Monday but it rained most of the day. My plan was to drive it to work and then drop it off afterwards. Well, I did make it to work but once the rain started I decided to hold off for a day.

They do have the seats finished. Now they just need to do the carpets, top, and trim panels. Hopefully it'll only take them a couple of weeks. I already had the top, off white, so it shouldn't be too bad for them to finish it up.

After that, I'll have to fine tune the top, get my rocker mouldings ready, detail the engine, sand & buff the car, and get all of the emblems installed. Not really that much and it will finally be completed.

Front Seats:

Rear Seats:
Mike Shelton
1957 Lincoln Premier convertible, 57 Lincoln Premier 2dr, 57 Lincoln Premier Sedan, 56 Lincoln Premier Sedan
mjs
Lincoln Maniac

Re: 1957 Convertible

Postby Barry Wolk » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:05 pm

WOW! Awesome progress.
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Postby toddallen » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:42 pm

That is going to be a SWEET cruiser !
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Postby bagged59 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:42 pm

looks great! what material did you use for your seats?
'59 Continental 2dr hardtop, burgundy, 460, AOD, 9" rear, 4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes, air ride, vintage air. purchased 7/7/06. Restoration in progress...
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Postby mjs » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:49 pm

looks great! what material did you use for your seats?

The black and white inserts are leather with the yellow being vinyl. The trim panels will be yellow/black/white to match the seats and it's going to have an off-white top.

Quite an improvement over what I started with.

Before:

Now:

Of course I'll be posting photos of it when I get it back.

That is going to be a SWEET cruiser !

That's the best thing about this car. I KNOW that when I drive it or take it shows that their won't be any other like it. As far as I know this is the only 57 Convertible in the area.
Mike Shelton
1957 Lincoln Premier convertible, 57 Lincoln Premier 2dr, 57 Lincoln Premier Sedan, 56 Lincoln Premier Sedan
mjs
Lincoln Maniac

Postby mjs » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:07 am

Well I got the car back from the upholstery a week ago. It sure looks great. I still have a bunch of detail work to finish but that will give me something to do during the winter.

Mike Shelton
mjs
Lincoln Maniac

Postby Barry Norman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:37 am

Now that's an INTERIOR ! I had one that same color combination back in the '80's. It lifted my spirits every time i sat in the car ! What has happened to the interior designers of today ???
57 Premier conv
58 MK III conv
60 MK V conv
61 Continental conv
66 Continental conv
Barry Norman
Lincoln Maniac

Postby Tommy62 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:16 am

What has happened to the interior designers of today ???

Oh, theyre' still around....."what choice of interior would you like? You can either have the medium grey, or the medium grey. If you want the beige, you can choose between the deep beige, or the deep beige"....."and of course your choice will come with the complementing matching beige dashboard" "You'll be the envy of all your dull friends!") :roll:

Tommy
Tommy62
Addicted to Lincolns

Postby Chris Whalen » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:59 pm

By 1957, the U.S. consumer market had spent the previous 28 years enduring the Depression (1929-1939, approximate), World War II (1939-1945, approximate), the Korean War (1950-1953, approximate) and the Cold War -- which we entered after WWII but perhaps did not treat seriously until the late 50s and early 60s.

People today forget what people in the 50s went through -- we think of everyone then as inordinately happy, and for no logical reason. Naiveté, we assume, or perhaps something in the water -- chlorophyll or fluoride. It wasn't any of those things. They behaved and bought the way they did because of their relief after events passed. This is how those designs came about, those '57 Lincolns and their yellow, black and white, or red, black and white interiors -- and architecture like the Eero Saarinen-designed TWA terminal at JFK International Airport, and art like Alexander Calder's mobiles. Design showed a collective mind-think -- a euphoria, almost -- that we'd passed finally from dark times to one better and more optimistic. (The economy boomed those years until the Eisenhower Recession in 1958.)

Today, we're in our own bad period -- and the designers are right here with us. This is why all the utilitarian, and all the grey and beige. Perhaps, once we move beyond our difficulties, when life improves and we're of a more optimistic and celebratory nature, the designers and manufacturers will offer (because more customers request it) products and styles that are more vibrant, colorful, and similar in nature to the ones offered the six years from 1954 through 1960.

This has been a Quinn Martin production.

Your convertible is amazing. Beautiful job.
Last edited by Chris Whalen on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Whalen
Addicted to Lincolns

Postby AlT63bird » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:33 pm

Today, we're in our own bad period -- and the designers are right here with us. This is why all the utilitarian, and all the grey and beige. Perhaps, once we move beyond our difficulties, when life improves and we're of a more optimistic and celebratory nature, the designers and manufacturers will offer (because more customers request it) products and styles that are more vibrant, colorful, and similar in nature to the ones offered those six years from 1954 through 1960.

I was in my freshman year of architectural design in the fall of 1983 when one of our professors pointed out that art, architecture and design is influenced by the time in which it is created, and conversely good design should reflect the times during which it was formed. Being fascinated with all things historical, I pointed out to a lot of people that the styling of late '50s cars like the Lincoln and T-bird had an exuberance born from the optimism of the period and desire to escape the doldrums of the past generation.

I scratched my head during the '80s and '90s trying to make sense of post-Modernism, Deconstructivism and how the built environment became chaotic, pulled apart and disposable. The late '90s-early 2000s gave us the era of "retro" - Beetles, PT Cruisers, SSR, HHR and the Retro'Bird (and how in the he!! did the Azetk sneak in?). For the most part designers took yesterday's cues and melded them with contemporary touches, some more successfully than others. Today we're staring across a chasm of doubt, uncertainty and pessimism which has to affect the psyche of those designing the products of tomorrow and the next few years. Advancing technology, the "green" movement and sustainable design are the current "in" things that may turn things around from drab to daring, provided designs can look beyond the current mess we're in and take inspiration in a brigher future.

Then again, maybe we should go to our local paint supply stores, get some spray bombs of upholstery and vinyl dye in our favorite non-neutral colors and recolor the interiors of our Focuses and Mark S's to reflect what we think the present (and future) can be...
Alan H. Tast AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club International
AlT63bird
Lincoln Maniac

Postby mjs » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:33 pm

Your convertible is amazing. Beautiful job.

Thank you for the compliment. It's hard to believe that it's been over 4 years since I started this project. At the time I couldn't believe that I would ever make it to this point. People thought I was crazy to spend so much time and effort on this. Now that I'm almost done I'll to find something else to do during my free time.
Mike Shelton
mjs
Lincoln Maniac

Postby bagged59 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:00 am

Now that I'm almost done I'll to find something else to do during my free time.

drive it!!
'59 Continental 2dr hardtop, burgundy, 460, AOD, 9" rear, 4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes, air ride, vintage air. purchased 7/7/06. Restoration in progress...
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Postby ReijerLincoln » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:54 am

AlT63bird wrote:I was in my freshman year of architectural design in the fall of 1983 when one of our professors pointed out that art, architecture and design is influenced by the time in which it is created, and conversely good design should reflect the times during which it was formed. Being fascinated with all things historical, I pointed out to a lot of people that the styling of late '50s cars like the Lincoln and T-bird had an exuberance born from the optimism of the period and desire to escape the doldrums of the past generation.

I scratched my head during the '80s and '90s trying to make sense of post-Modernism, Deconstructivism and how the built environment became chaotic, pulled apart and disposable. The late '90s-early 2000s gave us the era of "retro" - Beetles, PT Cruisers, SSR, HHR and the Retro'Bird (and how in the he!! did the Azetk sneak in?). For the most part designers took yesterday's cues and melded them with contemporary touches, some more successfully than others.

You should check out David Gartman's 'Auto-Opium: A Social History of American Automobile Design' & 'From Autos to Architecture: Fordism and the Aesthetics of Modern and Postmodern Architecture'

David Gartman is a car guy and sociologist (as I am). He has written extensively on the American car culture and indusrty http://www.usouthal.edu/syansw/dgartman.html
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Postby norgale » Mon May 11, 2009 12:47 pm

You have to put a full continental kit on the back. Ihad one of these with the kit and it looked awesome. Pete
Pete McGill LCOC 023903M
2006 Dodge Pickup 2500 v-8 Magnum Hemi
1981 Lincoln Continental Mark 6

ON TIME IS WHEN I GET THERE.
norgale
Lincoln-ally Insane

Postby mjs » Tue May 12, 2009 6:26 pm

You have to put a full continental kit on the back. I had one of these with the kit and it looked awesome.

I haven't seen any that look right. I have seen several cars that do have them and to me they just don't look natural Besides, with the length of these cars the last thing I wanted was to make it longer. I don't think it would fit in the garage.

I did finally get a chance to get the air cleaner and valve covers painted. They had only a couple of small dings so all they needed was some sandblasting and minor repair. After being primed and sanded I basecoated them with a light gold and then clearcoated. The next day I scuffed them back down and detailed the letters after which I cleared them again.

Mike Shelton
mjs
Lincoln Maniac

Next

Return to Member Projects