Fuel Draining Back? NO!

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Fuel Draining Back? NO!

Post by Lee »

In my typical manner of learning things the hard way, I started with just a basic electric low pressure pump deadheading at the carb, and no recycle. That was really no better than the mechanical pump.

When I first set this system up, I went way overboard, and used one of the Holley HP 150gph pumps, and that thing was not only LOUD, but only lasted about two years. Decided to die at our hotel somewhere in Mississippi. Replaced it with a Mr. Gasket (practically a Holley clone, appearance-wise) from a local parts store. Worked fine for many years, but no matter how I tried insulating it, it was just as loud...you were never not conscious of the sound.

A few years ago, I decided to try one of the standard Carter vane pumps they've been making for a hundred years. And finally, the noise is barely noticeable. It's only like 72gph, but that seems to be plenty to recycle and keep everything cool.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)