what is acceptable chrome plating?

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

dug
TLF Director

what is acceptable chrome plating?

Post by dug »

I had some chrome plating done. Got home and checked it over. What is acceptable? Should I expect a pit or pock on a piece or should I expect perfection? Where parts go into one another the inside of the piece is crusty and rough. I feel that it will probably scratch the other chrome eventually. The pot-metal trim has some pocks and pits. Am I being too anal? What is the definition of show chrome??
Doug Shahady
MI-LCOC
1966 Lincoln Convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: what is acceptable chrome plating?

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I saw those parts and the pits looked like grains of sand or dirt as they were raised, not recessed. I think only two out of the many parts were near-perfect, but still not really perfect.

Some of the parts had sloppy grind marks on them and a few had the occasional "missed pit".

Good luck when you take them back. Just tell him you don't consider it "show chrome".
black63lincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by black63lincoln »

when i had my chrome done i had no pits or blemishes what so ever.. i didnt even pay for "show". Only the inside of the door handles and inside the exterior rear view mirror had any sort of loose or peeling chrome.. no biggie though

http://www.yellowbot.com/e-f-s-co-inc-p ... rd-wa.html
Todd
bestrada11
Lincoln Maniac

Post by bestrada11 »

If you paid for show chrome then you should expect nothing less than perfection as ive asked my chorme guy at El Paso Electroplating, and he said if someone asks or pays for "show chrome" then they will asess the piece and if there is anything that would prevent the piece from being flawless they will reject it before any work ever gets started that will assure that they have the ability to provide the absolute best quality finish. These guys do a shitload of lowrider magazine centerfold cars. and if you have ever seen a TRUE lowrider magazine car then you know these dudes chrome every flippin thing they can get there hands on and its always perfect!!
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

I've had my rear bumper done twice now. Supposedly triple plated. It looked perfect both times initially, but "ghosting" started happening both times in less than a year. Two different platers. The plater that I used for most of the other chroming other than the bumpers was shut down by the EPA before I could have them do the bumpers. That chrome is still beautiful.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
JimLinc62
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimLinc62 »

I don't think you're being too anal. This stuff is expensive and as with anything, if you're not 100% satsified - take it back. I had over 2 dozen pieces done. Out of those, 5 came back with a visible pit or pock mark. When I took them back, my shop was more than happy to redo them. He told me that as the chrome "cures", a defect can develop. He also explained that chrome is more difficult to get just right in tight corners. Since I'm ignorant on the process I can't swear these statements are true, but he seemed honest and up-front. And most important, like any reputable shop should, he said he would be glad to re-do them.
dug
TLF Director

Post by dug »

Took all parts back this morning. said he would take care of it. keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the replies. I will let you know how this turns out.
Doug Shahady
MI-LCOC
1966 Lincoln Convertible

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”