Lincoln dealers on older cars

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

kim fitzgerald
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by kim fitzgerald »

I wrote earlier that I would be bringing my 67 sedan into the local dealer to have the dysfunctional turn signals looked at and that I'd pass along my findings.

Lo and behold, the mechanics who had the car all summer just figured out the problem. In case you're interested and this ever happens to you (4-ways work, but signals don't) just pull all fuses in the box (pull down hideaway next to glove box) and test them. One happened to be burned out, and according to the wiring diagram in the service manual, it was a fuse wholly unrelated to the signals! Anyway, glad the car is done now even though it's time to put it away for the winter.

I'll have to wait for another problem to arise before I can take the car to the dealer. I did cruise through their lot the other day, as it's near one of my stores, and noticed a Mark III (69-71 vintage) in the back lot with a work tag on it, so they must be at least willing to look at problems.
James MacKenzie
Occasional Visitor

Post by James MacKenzie »

I took my '65 to the dealer when I bought it, thinking they'd be the fastest way to get it on the road. They estimated about $5,000 worth of work that needed to be done. Everything they looked at, they decided needed to be replaced. One window was stuck, and they said "New motor, new switch, new regulator" to fix it. They refused to put in the upgraded brake booster (two stage) I found because it wasn't "original" equipment. They were worried about liability. One month later, I retrieved the car with NOTHING fixed (they charged me $400 for estimating everything).

When I finally got the window fixed, it was because the motor had been taken out and not reinstalled properly. The tracks needed grease. The switches, motor and regulator are fine.

In my experience, dealer mechanics just replace components, they don't "repair" anything. Manhattan Ford suggested many NEW parts, when new parts are not even available. They've never even seen a car with a carburetor.

Do I sound bitter? I learned my lesson...
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I agree with James. The dealer doesn't "repair" anything nowadays.

Now, I would have pitched a b*tch about $400 for estimating work. If they too that long (6 hours at $65 and hour) then they don't know what the hell they are doing. And it was obvious they don't.

Take your car to a place that specializes in classics. If you can't find one, learn how to do it yourself.

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”