Are new oils ruining our cars? Must Read!

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

oils, fluids

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

On page 22 of this thread, Kultulz and Autostick reply to Landau Earl as regards lubricant recommendations.

I'd just like to point out that the owner manual for my '89 Grand Marquis recommended Dexron for the
transmission BUT Type F for the power steering.

Also, I have always believed that 50% antifreeze / 50% water is overkill. I live in Southern New England, where it seldom gets below zero: about once or twice a year. In my express opinion, one-third antifreeze is sufficient and plenty, both for protection against freezing AND mitigating against rust and corrosion. Even if the freezing point lowering by additional
percentage of antifreeze was linear [it's a slight curve, with 'diminishing returns'], the "swing" between pure water at +32 degrees to the -34 degrees with "50/50", yields a total range of 66 degrees. Thus, a one-fourth proportion of antifreeze and three-fourths water reduces the freezing point to minus one deg. F: [66 / 2 = 33; 32 - 33 = -1] Continuing, a one-third proportion of antifreeze and two-thirds water reduces the freezing point to minus twelve deg. F.
[66 / 3 = 22; two-third would be 22 x 2, or 44; +32 deg. F. minus 44 deg. F = minus twelve deg. F.} BTW, I'm old enough to remember when the antifreeze producers filled in "the other half" of the "chart" on their cans----now, the minimum they list is for 50% antifreeze. Must be bad for the antifreeze business to even inadvertently suggest using a bit LESS.

Finally, you couldn't pay me to put Armor-All on anything!!!!!
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: new oils

I can't believe that Autostick, on page 22 of this thread, in his list of oil brands, did not include VALVOLINE.
navguy12
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Are new oils ruining our cars? Must Read!

Post by navguy12 »

Finally, you couldn't pay me to put Armor-All on anything!!!!!
I hear you on that one!!
Mike Stortini
1985 Cartier Town Car Sold 10 Nov 2013
1977 Lincoln Continental Sold 27 April 2012
Batawa Ontario
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

engine oils

I just finished reading ALL twenty-nine (29) pages of this thread (though I did start last evening: lol). There were a few comments about blended oil, along with the usual synthetic vs. regular.

Based upon my experience with the wife's "Brand X", including a 5,000-mile round-trip to Montana, I went back to regular, petroleum-based oil . . and have no plans to ever go to a 'blend' or an outright synthetic again----in any of our vehicles.
During said long trip to Montana while using a "blend" of synthetic and regular, my oil consumption at least DOUBLED.
I had decided to try the "blend", "designed for high-mileage cars", because I wanted her car to out-live me. But having to put in 4 1/2 qts. in said trip instead of just under two quarts of the regular-type, I went BACK to the conventional . . . and the lower oil consumption rate remains.

Besides, I don't care how "theoretically" synthetic or "blend" is than conventional, ALL engine oil becomes contaminated by gasoline-burning by-products, soot, dirt, water, and other nefarious stuff. Thus, oil and filter changes are still necessary.
Yeah, maybe the synthetic is "better" . . . BUT AT TWICE THE COST, roughly??? No, thanks . . . even if oil consumption was at the same rate.

Yet, there's no question that I need to get some ZDDP additive . . . even for my '85 Town Car.
orsogrigio
Occasional Visitor

Post by orsogrigio »

Hi folks,
I have read some of your posts, It iis not that I have understood so much about additives, I use a 20w50 HPX, as my engine consume oil, I add it frequently and so I do not change it every 3000 miles, but every 6/7000, as I refill often with new oil, I don't use the car when snows, but even in winter time, when the weather is fine I drive it. the only thing is that, as the oil is very hard, the oil pressure is high, and it needs many miles to low. could this damage the engine in the long time?
1972 Lincoln town car
1973 Oldsmobile Delta 88 conv
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

orsogrigio wrote:Hi folks, I have read some of your posts, It iis not that I have understood so much about additives, I use a 20w50 HPX, as my engine consume oil, I add it frequently and so I do not change it every 3000 miles, but every 6/7000, as I refill often with new oil, I don't use the car when snows, but even in winter time, when the weather is fine I drive it. the only thing is that, as the oil is very hard, the oil pressure is high, and it needs many miles to low. could this damage the engine in the long time?
Bona Sera! Good to hear from our friends in Italy.
I have not heard of high oil pressure damaging an engine, it is usually the other way around, very low oil pressure is bad. However, your engine calls for 10w30, and using the heavier 20w50 in the winter time should be causing hard starting and is why the pressure is high. If it were my vehicle I would use the recommended weight of 10w30 in the winter time, but if you have no problem with starts I would not worry about it. Buona fortuna.
orsogrigio
Occasional Visitor

Post by orsogrigio »

When I bought the car, I drove it home 300 km about and I had to refill 1 and 1/2 litres of oil, so, as I didn't know what kind of oil it was in it, I change with a 10w40 motorcraft oil at the ford garage of zone, I know him as he was my dd ford mechanic, but as the engine had a high oil consumption, he decided to change oil again and in place of 10w40 he filled with 20w50 HPX, a green colored oil , I still had oil consumption but less, so I continued to use it: I replaced the valve stem seals, as I thought it was the cause of oil consumption, but probably the cause is the worn valve guides, but te mechanic suggested to let the things as they are and simply add oil when needed, and I went on with the 20w50 even thou with cold weather start hardly and need more time to warm the oil. Cold oil can damage the chambers more then a block of stone. Now, that6 I have replaced the timing chain and all the concerning gaskets, seems the oil consumption has lowered, so next oil change I re-try with 10w40 and see what happen
1972 Lincoln town car
1973 Oldsmobile Delta 88 conv
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

I definitely recommend using at least 10w40. Too high a viscosity is just masking a more severe issue. Also bear in mind, when you say consumption, do you know for a fact that the car is BURNING the oil as opposed to leaking it?

Leaks arent that bad as far as they are easy to trace (for the most part), and actually kind of coat the underside with oil and prevent rust (i know a little backwoods but it wont harm the frame). If you burn oil then i would check the compression to see if its rings, or just valve guide seals.
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

This summer my friend Peter used ZDDPlus in his '63 Continental for the first time. The 430 hasn't really ever been touched besides a timing set replacement. He noticed right away that the top end became quieter (less lifter noise) and that it leaks and burns less oil. He was pleasantly surprised.
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Found API Grade SF at Wal Mart. I bought 10 quarts. They also had STP Blue (which is a high ZPPD additive). Search this thread for my calculations about using STP Red.
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

Dan Szwarc wrote:Found API Grade SF at Wal Mart. I bought 10 quarts. They also had STP Blue (which is a high ZPPD additive). Search this thread for my calculations about using STP Red.
Thanks Dan. At $2.67 per quart this makes frequent changes economical.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Accel-10W-40-Quart/20713642
Keep your much-loved trusty ride well-oiled and running smooth with this Accel 10W-40 motor oil made especially for older vehicles.
Accel 10W-40 Quart:
All-season, multi-viscosity, heavy-duty, detergent motor oil
Recommended for gasoline engines in car and truck models prior to 1988
Provides oxidation stability and anti-wear performance relative to oils, meeting prior API performnce standards SE
Provides protection against engine deposits, rust and corrosion
1-qt plastic screw-cap bottle
Model# AC14SFPL
$2.67
=
The Eastwood sale gives us a lot of oil options too.
onedollarbob
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by onedollarbob »

Dan Szwarc wrote:ZDDP on sale at Eastwood, $6 an oil change instead of $9.

Price is good until Nov 18, Midnight EST.
Dan, I've been procrastinating two oil changes because of the ZDDP order, and so this would be great timing--but what am I missing? This link takes me to the $8.99 stuff. Or did I already miss it? By my calculation it is just now only 10:52 p.m. EST, but I have been wrong about many things before. . . .
1979 Mark V Collector's Series -- Sold
1983 Mark VI Signature Series coupe -- R.I.P.
1989 Mark VII LSC

"After the final No there comes a Yes / And on that Yes the future of the world hangs." --Wallace Stevens
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Musta mised it. Sign up for their newsletter. Expect another sale between now and Xmas.

Actually, it's available on eBay (by Zddp Maxx) for $63 for 10. Probably a better deal considering Eastwood shipping.