Upper Back Panel Limit Switch Problem

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Upper Back Panel Limit Switch Problem

Postby Jim Smith » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:10 am

I've been having problems with the top cycle on my 66 lately, and it culminated with the deck lid refusing to open or close. My friend (62 Thunderbird convertible) came by tonight and we attacked it. The main problem was the deck lid motor, which was dirty with ATF. I took it out of the car, dismantled it, sprayed it with brake cleaner, dried it with air and reassembed it. Works! This pump is an aftermarket version that I took apart once before and soldered shut the heat switch inside it. Then I installed a safety switch in the external power line..and that worked well. Tonight we also filed the points, which were pitted. We had a heck of a time to get the motor case back together right, but finally we lucked out.

Then the upper back panel switch turned out to be problem #2 (for today). We tried adjusting it and that wasn't doing too much, so we dismantled the darn thing...big mistake! I was joking with my buddy Gord to keep an eye out for flying springs as I was taking it apart..and whamo, the springs atarted flying. We had a heck of a time getting it back together, but we did, and it works, sort of. The little screw that holds the outside circular cover in place over the adjustment slot is adjusted right to the end..and that seems not to be quite enough? When you lift up the Upper back panel, and then retract it, the little screw slot in the middle of the switch moves a titch, and must be returned with a screwdriver before the deck lid pump will start.

I have a heavy duty deck lid motor from Baker's installed and it seems to put a lot of torque onto the flipper panel when it's retracted. We tried shimming the base of the motor, and it just moved further and kept up the same level of torque. Nothing is broken or missing (remarkably) from the Upper Back Panel Limit Switch, and there appears to be very little wearing. There just doesn't seem to be much that could wear out?

I'm wondering if I could take my Dremel tool and cut the side slot a little longer for more adjustment?

Has anyone played with this stuff? There doesn't seem to be much about it on the site at present...
Jim Smith, Saskatoon, Canada
1966 Continental conv, white/lt. blue
LCOC Member
Jim Smith
Dedicated Enthusiast

Postby Dan Szwarc » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:04 pm

I was joking with my buddy Gord to keep an eye out for flying springs as I was taking it apart..and whamo, the springs atarted flying. We had a heck of a time getting it back together, but we did, and it works, sort of.

This is why Baker's charges and arm and a leg to rebuild these. Unfortunately, I have no advice but to send it to them.

"Priced Individually" is the price listed on Baker's web page. That means "an arm and a leg".
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Postby Landogoshen » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:31 pm

Sounds to me like the switch is either broken internally or was reassembled incorrectly. I did the same thing once, taking it apart with pieces flying everywhere. I had to put it back together twice because I did something wrong the first time. Here's a site that can rebuild switches. They even have steel spindles to replace the breakable plastic originals.

http://www.certifiedrebuilders.com/id18.htm

Royce
Landogoshen
Frequent Contributor

Postby Jim Smith » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:47 am

Thanks, Guys...this is exactly the help I needed. Good, solid, useable information.

I'de bet mine has the infamous worn D-ring shaped hole. That's exactly how it acts. I think I'll try repair that hole using some of my 3M Adhesives. That can even be checked out without taking the switch apart again I think.

Thanks again...
LCOC Member
Jim Smith
Dedicated Enthusiast

Postby Jim Smith » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:46 pm

My Upper Back Panel limit switch almost refused to close the deck lid on Saturday, so I bit the bullet and ordered a rebuilt one from the fellow you suggested....thanks again for this info.

Thank God this fellow is "in the business", and that we have this forum to inform the great unwashed of his existence! This sort of thing adds immeasureably to the pleasures of ownership of senior Lincolns.
LCOC Member
Jim Smith
Dedicated Enthusiast

Postby Jim Smith » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:09 pm

The conclusion....My newly rebuilt and upgraded Upper Back Panel switch arrived and out I went to the Continental, raised the deck lid and installed it. It took about 10-15 minutes!

And just like that, away went all the problems. My 39 year old car working like it was brand new again! Wow!!

And what a pleasant fellow Barry is to do business with! He sent off the new switch without charging for the core on my Visa, "to save paperwork".

As a result, I lowered the top and drove off to the post office to send the old switch back to him, within an hour of receiving the shipment with the rebuilt one.

Barry rebuilds these switches to outlast and outperform the original version. I'm a very "happy camper" over this transaction...
LCOC Member
Jim Smith
Dedicated Enthusiast

66 upperback panel problem

Postby Lincoln Nut » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:57 pm

Jim Glad you got her operating so well. I wish I could read my schematics and top book and figure out which relay or switch makes the top pump reverse and go down on my 67.. well on to my question.. Afraid to ask but how much are rebuilt upper backpanel switches going for???
The Lincoln Nut******......
Lincoln Nut
Lincoln Maniac

Postby Jim Smith » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:36 pm

$325.00 please your old switch as a core.
LCOC Member
Jim Smith
Dedicated Enthusiast

Return to Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles