The term "Classic"

This forum is for discussion of those terms we see in car ads and articles that can be misleading, misunderstood, or misused. The goal is to arrive at definitions we all can agree upon.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Yes, very true. 25+ years is an automatic antique, not an automatic classic.
Vitas
No Longer With Us

Post by Vitas »

classic

<jargon> An adjective used before or after a noun to describe
the original version of something. This construction is
especially used of product series in which the newer versions
are considered worse than the older ones.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=classic

-lol-
Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

Would you all consider these "classics"?

http://www.hemmings.com/index.cfm/fusea ... ductid/758
Vitas
No Longer With Us

Post by Vitas »

Under your definition, they all appear to be at least 25 year old cars.
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

Would you all consider these "classics"?
Some of them one could consider classics and others not.

For example: Low end Pontiac door post sedan, not a classic
1948 Studebaker, a classic
1952 Cadillac Convertible, a classic
1955 Olds 88 4dr post sedan, not a classic, and not a Super 88 as mentioned
1956 Corvette, a classic
1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser, borderline classic
1952 Chevy business coupe, not a classic
1957 Plymouth Fury, a classic

They are all very nice representations of their given model year though not necessarily classics or of personal appeal to every car enthusiast. All collectibles, maybe.
Vitas
No Longer With Us

Post by Vitas »

Lugnut wrote:1955 Olds 88 4dr post sedan, not a classic, and not a Super 88 as mentioned
Would you consider a 1955 Olds Super 88 4dr sedan to be a classic?

Post by Guest »

Would you consider a 1955 Olds Super 88 4dr sedan to be a classic?
No!

A collectible yes, but with a bit of clarification. In 1955 a 4dr post sedan was not considered top of the line or the best example of the overall design. It would not be the most desirable of collectibles by any stretch of the imagination.

Two door and four door post vehicles got far more mundane interiors than their postless counterparts, which I suppose could have been considered the Sport Sedans of the day.
phantomcobra
Frequent Contributor

Post by phantomcobra »

I liked the definition as a car of a certain condition that has a value more than the original value (note the junk yard cars don't qualify because they are basically worthless) but I'd like to add a note to that. The current value should be more than the original value "in adjusted dollars".

For example in their description, a $3,000 car in 1965 would be a classic today purely because, if it was in good enough condition, it would pull in $3,001. But if in today's dollars, that car had to be bought for $9,000, I would classify it as classic if it was worth more than that. Not sure I described it well enough but I think you get the picture.

My 79's would probably never be classics even though they are over 25 years old. But they aren't worth more than their original purchase price in adjusted dollars. My 66 Charger could be a different situation regardless of the first full sized muscle car status. The Charger was a breakthrough of sorts that probably qualifies it as a classic and/or collectible. I don't care what everyone else calls it. I find all my cars beautiful and I love the holy h#$% out of driving them!
Zephyrmec
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Zephyrmec »

Top an oldie?

If I'm selling it, It's a classic

If I'm buying it, It's an old piece of crap that I'll help you out by hauling it away..... Got the title? any old parts?.....

:wink:
If it explodes, moves rapidly, was built over 50 years ago, or is something your parents warned you against, I like it!
NZMarkIV

Post by NZMarkIV »

Personally, I think whether a car is "classic" or not is in the eye of the beholder. Believe it or not, there's a lot people out there who just see them not as classics, but as "old cars", which they are, whether you want to admit it or not.

It also has to do with where you are as well. Here in New Zealand, you could easily get away with showing your C6 Corvette at a "classic" car show simply because of its rarity here, it's something of a novelty (and its sky-high price tag).

I don't know about the US (although I'd assume the same), but people tend to like cars they can relate to, in some form or other, eg "Oh, my Mum/Dad/Grandmother/pet budgie had one of those years ago!", etc. And a car that cost 3, 4 or 5 years pay instantly rules most them (me included) out.

When a stamp collector pays tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars for a century-old postage stamp, I think he's off his rocker - all I see is a 3/4" square piece of paper.

He probably thinks we're insane for spending so much on decades-old hunks of steel and glass........
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

NZMarkIV wrote:I don't know about the US (although I'd assume the same), but people tend to like cars they can relate to, in some form or other, eg "Oh, my Mum/Dad/Grandmother/pet budgie had one of those years ago!", etc. And a car that cost 3, 4 or 5 years pay instantly rules most them (me included) out.
I would tend to disagree with you. It is the unattainable cars that get the most attention in the US. Whether that be the Woodward Dream Cruise, Pebble Beach Concours, Barrett-Jackson Auction or even the LCOC meets, its the rare ones that grab the most attention, not the everyday cars of the past.
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
LINC400
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: The term "Classic"

Post by LINC400 »

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. There are no classic Mustangs or Chevys. It is not a matter of opinion. A classic car is a car built between 1925 and 1948 with exceptional engineering, styling, design, and materials. There is a list on the CCCA website. The years are chosen to coincide with the heyday of custom coachbuilding. The only reason there are any postwar cars on the list is because some cars, namely Packard and Lincoln Continental, are nearly identical in 46-48 to their prewar examples with only minor grill or other changes. I will never own a classic car, and probably will not get along with most snobs that do. But since this was the club recognizing the beauty, rarity, and craftsmanship, and preserving these cars in the early 1950's when everyone else was crushing these "outdated heaps" for scrap metal, I think they are entitled to make the rules. And no, they are not updating their list, because classics do not update. That is why they are classic. There are other terms for the cars that are exceptional but do not fall into this category. Antique, collectible, milestone, vintage etc. But there is no classic Chevy. The bottom of the line car for GM with 6 cylinder or optional V-8 (decades after many others had one), vinyl interior, and optional clock and radio is not the ultimate in engineering and materials. Antique, milestone, collectible, valuable, yes, but not classic.

Also the "worth more than new" rule is ridiculous. A Duesenberg is a classic whether it is sitting on a concours showfield or in a junkyard. Obviously everyone would rather have the concours car, but the junkyard one is still a classic. It does not just become one once it reaches a certain dollar value during restoration. That is about as ridiculous as saying luxury cars are expensive, so a Town Car on a used car lot for $3000 is not a luxury car anymore.
1976 Continental Mark IV Givenchy
2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary convertible
previously owned
1979 Continental Mark V Cartier
LINC400
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: The term "Classic"

Post by LINC400 »

I have to unfortunately disagree with Barry stating the rare, unusual cars are the ones that get all of the attention. Maybe at a concours event, but I go to a lot of car shows and cruise nights, and everybody is always gathered around the '57 Chevys, Mustangs, and Corvettes. Very few walk right past them to look at Kaisers, Packards, and Pierce Arrows like I do. And best of show usually does not go to the immaculate Lincoln or Packard. It goes to whatever has the biggest blower, wildest paint job, and most dvd players in the trunk.
1976 Continental Mark IV Givenchy
2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary convertible
previously owned
1979 Continental Mark V Cartier