1953 Lincoln Convertible

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

neat53lincoln

1953 Lincoln Convertible

Post by neat53lincoln »

Hi:

I'm new to the forum. I have a 53 Capri and this car has two jacks that opperate the top by a motor that is connected by two cables. The 52-55 Lincoln convertibles worked this way. I'd like to know if any other Lincoln pals might know where to find the operating motor? I have some fine photos on my project if anyone would like to see them.

John
survey1@digital.net
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

We love photos but there is a size regulation.

Why not rebuild your motor?
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
neat53lincoln

Post by neat53lincoln »

barry2952 wrote:We love photos but there is a size regulation.

Why not rebuild your motor?
Hi Barry:

I have a restored the car to a 12 volt system: The top motor is marginal at best. I was told that I can send 12 volts to the 6 volt motor for short periods when letting the top up or down. Seems likely that doing so would either burn up the motor or worse yet mess up the cars wiring. I found someone who would rebuild the motor but only to the original 6 volt positive ground set up. I was wondering if there was a transformer I could purchase that would make it possible to change the set up from 6 volt positive ground to a 12 volt negative ground.

Thanks for your response.

john
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

I just read about a battery that supplies both 6-volt and 12-volt power. That could solve your problem.
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
neat53lincoln

Post by neat53lincoln »

barry2952 wrote:I just read about a battery that supplies both 6-volt and 12-volt power. That could solve your problem.
Thanks again Barry:

I have installed a 400CY inch 78 Ford engine and tyranny in my 53 convertible. I have restored a 55 Lincoln several years ago that had it's original engine and I did use a 6-12 battery. Got to tell you that 12 volt charge sent to that 6 volt starter would really kick the 341CY engine over. Great battery. When you pushed the starter button a selinoid would connect the 3 extra cells in the battery. After the engine started it would return to 6 volts. The generator would charge both sides of the battery. Unfortunaly this want work in the convertible.

This top motor is about to drive me crazy. I have dropped a bunch of money into this restoration and if the top won't go up and down it takes a lot away from all of the work done.

john
Roger C
Occasional Visitor

Post by Roger C »

Since you've turned this car into a hot rod and not a restoration project, why not wire an Optima 6-volt directly to the motor, hide the battery under the rear seat( it can be mounted on its side) route the wires to the original switch on the lower left hand side of the dash and recharge the battery when you return from a cruise. Or, you can wire in a Volt-a-Drop (TM) that will reduce the 12 volts down to 6. They were plentiful in the old hot rodding days of the 50s and 60s. You still find them on ebay.

The top motor was also used on Fords and Mercurys from 52 to 54 and they too were 6-volt units. They all incorporated a relay that reversed the polarity of the motor to make it go forward and backwards. The relay looks just like the window relay, but has fewer connections. The motors are quite rare and pricey.

If you need more info, send me a PM. I've restored many 52-55s and 56 and 57 Lincolns.

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”