Continental Concept

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

UNcontinental
Frequent Contributor

Continental Concept

Post by UNcontinental »

A couple of years ago there was a Lincoln Continental Concept

http://www.autointell.net/nao_companies ... ept-03.htm

Unveiled at the Los Angeles Auto show. Does anyone know what happened with that? How close was the car into production?
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

A good question. Anyone's comment on it other than coming out of Bill Ford's mouth is likely pure speculation. So much has happened in the domestic automotive industry during the last three to five years it may be safe to say a great number of the concept cars from domestic manufacturers from that time will never get even close to the production tool up stage either in part or whole.

As a personal opinion, I think the domestic automakers have almost totally lost perspective on not only the vehicular needs of the buying public but also what emotionally turns the public on to a frenzy of "I just gotta have that car." The influence of the notion of "Global Markets" have caused a great case of "tunnel vision" and has blinded automakers to the fact each of the global markets are different enough to justify differing concepts for those given markets. The end result being almost a war between basic utility needed for some markets while prospective buyers in others are more interest in comfort or performance or a combination of both.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

It would seem to me that Chrysler has come up with a design that looks a whole lot like the Continental concept: the new Imperial.

Currently, just a concept, but it could be the Continental we have been waiting for. Just not from Lincoln.
gmiguy
Frequent Contributor

Post by gmiguy »

I do see shades of that Continental concept in the new Zephyr, particularly the rear end.

The Imperial looks far more impressive in pictures than it does in person.
Current car: 13-Second 1997 Mark VIII
For sale: 1977 Town Car (silver/black/460)
Previously owned: 77 Mark V (Sold)
77 Town Coupe' (Wrecked :( )
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

It would seem to me that Chrysler has come up with a design that looks a whole lot like the Continental concept: the new Imperial.
Yep! And they are selling the fool out of the Dodge and Chyrsler 300 that have the same lines. I kinda like the look even if they do look somewhat like a late 1930's gangstermobile.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

gmiguy wrote:I do see shades of that Continental concept in the new Zephyr, particularly the rear end.

Yes, but what you do not see in the Zepher are the trademark suicide doors, a must, for me, in any new Continental.

However, IF the Imperial makes it to production, I GUARANTEE it will NOT have suicide rear doors.

(Not a guarantee :D)
UNcontinental
Frequent Contributor

Post by UNcontinental »

At least cars are getting big again.... :)