65-66 lincoln customs

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

<michael>

65-66 lincoln customs

Post by <michael> »

i am thinking of buying a 65-66 lincoln and i was wondering if anyone has any links to customising these cars eg.. engine swaps interior swaps suspension upgrades etc....
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

65-66 lincoln customs

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I've not seen anything regarding upgrading these beasts. Upgrade components are more common for the 460 used in 69 and after, but these big Lincolns are so heavy to begin with, no one make parts to "soup them up".

Unless I just haven't looked enough.
hhmetal
Dedicated Enthusiast

65-66 lincoln customs

Post by hhmetal »

I've not seen much either though would also hope to hear from anybody that has found some parts/enhancement sources. I'd like to find someone who knows how to lower one of these bad boys without just cutting the springs... dropped spindles would be sweat [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I have seen some motor stuff on ebay... mostly intake and exhaust stuff like hi-rise intakes or tri-power set-ups or stainless exhaust manifolds. It seems like they might have been for boats or dragsters.

I posted a similar question about any custom interior stuff somebody may have done or seen.

Ithink these babies are an absolutely perfect opportunity for making a low rider it someone who knows how to figure suspension geometry.
<custom69>

65-66 lincoln customs

Post by <custom69> »

In my experience, you really need the later 460ci engine to do any significant performance mods. I had the 460 in my 1969 lincoln totally rebuilt with performance parts, everything from cobra jet connecting rods to crane roller rockers to an msd electronic distributor and multi spark system. I know a couple guys that have put 460's in their older Lincolns. It's not that hard to do if the idea of those kind of heavy modifications don't bother you.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

65-66 lincoln customs

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Remember that these cars weigh over 5000 lbs. It takes a TON of horsepower to make a significant difference.

You want something to beef up? Buy a '70 to '79 Lincoln or Mark. They are lighter and not unibody.
pdxSuicide

65-66 lincoln customs

Post by pdxSuicide »

I just registered, after posting above about my 69 with MSD, CJ rods, ect.

It does cost a little to make these cars fly, but mine sure does. The 460 engine is quite popular for all sorts of towing, racing, jet boats, ect. so all you really have to do is a little research & build the engine for torque. Its true that they're never going to be light, but if you really want to soup up a Suicide door lincoln, it's well worth it in thrills.

I also have some info on lowering, at least how I did mine. Instead of just cutting the springs, with all the problems that result, I had someone make me a custom set. After looking through a lot of ads in hemmings, I got in touch with a David Raine Automotive Products in NJ. I talked on the phone with him for quite a while, and he had all the specs on original Lincoln springs. I let him know what I wanted, and we ended up with shorter springs with a stiffer spring rate. I got a good drop (not in the weeds, but close) and much better handling to boot. I've never had it bottom out once, and I lost most of the "old boat" sway (I'm sure my old springs were pretty well shot). After getting the front where you want it, you can find someone local to rebuild your rear leaf springs to get the same ride height front and back. According to everything I've read, you should do the front first and then the back, it's easier to get the car level.
<vstraigh@columbus.rr.

65-66 lincoln customs

Post by <vstraigh@columbus.rr. »

Lincoln online has a bunch of links.....
Lincolnsonline.com/links
J.C.Whitney has mods if you watch for your year and model....
I've just started on my 1986 towm car 5.0 but plan on a mild custom....
Rod&Custom mag has some custom lincolns...
takearide

65-66 lincoln customs

Post by takearide »

pbxsuicide,

One day I will get around to building the 460 for my car. I am particularly interested in what cam, intake etc... you used. I am considering one of the available stoker kits to help create an iresistable force to move my unmovable object.

I had never considered custom wound springs, mine are pretty tired and I like the ride height fine, but the astonishing body roll would be nice to moderate. How much did they set you back?
takearide

65-66 lincoln customs

Post by takearide »

pbxsuicide,

By the way, what kind of problems did your friends run into swapping the 460 into pre '68 Lincolns? I had the luck to pick up a good 460/C6 with all the fixin's out of a rusted out 69 sedan so I have all the stock parts.
bigred
Frequent Contributor

65-66 lincoln customs

Post by bigred »

pdxSuicide,
would you please post some of the info on your new front springs ie free length, spring rate, final drop...

thanks a bunch
bryan
pdxSuicide

65-66 lincoln customs

Post by pdxSuicide »

Whoa!! I guess I should have checked the board a while ago...

Anyway, for the cam and intake: I used a basic Edelbrock performer 460 manifold, which provides plenty of low-end torque. For the cam, my local Ford guru reccomended a Ford Motorsports M6250-A441 cam, we degreed the cam with a 5.25 degree advance, and used Ford anti-pumpup lifters and Isky valve springs (I don't have the p/n for these).

The stoker kits would be a whole other level of power. I used to drool over the kits in the PAW catalog. You could build quite a monster......

The front springs set me back $200 dollars including shipping from NJ to OR. They might be more expensive now.
We settled on about a 2" drop for the front (it might actually be a little more) but as far as the technical info on spring rate and free length, I really don't know. Mr. Raine took care of all the technical specs.

As far as swapping out engines, both guys I know that have done it drove 68 lincolns. Most of the parts just swap right over. If you use the engine and tranny from a 69 conti, it'll be easy.

Otherwise you're going to have problems with the power steering, tranny, driveshaft, and possibly with some of the accessory drives. One of the guys I know used the engine from a 71 Mark III and we had to custom fabricate all sorts of brackets, what a pain!!!

Even worse, the guy with the Mark III ended up putting a 351W in his car!!!! Don't even ask.....
jr_olsen
Occasional Visitor

65-66 lincoln customs

Post by jr_olsen »

Hello pdxSuicide, would you be able to dig up the name and numberof the guy that did your springs, and also on you engine do you have an idea on the level of horsepower that that beast is kicking out! I plan on a makover for my 460 an maybe even getting it stroked and bored im just looking for some ideas, recomendations, and info on the project

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”