1966 Front Shock Absorbers

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1966 Front Shock Absorbers

Post by papawayne »

Getting real nuts and bolts is a real challenge these days. We used to have a place called Fastenal, nearby with semi-intelligent workers who knew nut and bolt grades. But they went out of business, and a wacky-weed store replaced them. I won't go to Lowe's or Home Depot because the only phrase the high school kids in these places know is "I don't know". So, I stick with Ace Hardware where there is enough brain matter for the clerk to take you to the nuts and bolts and he or she knows the difference between grade five and grade 8 and will show you where they are and help you pick them out and put them in a little bag. I needed some more shear pins for my snowblower one day, and an enterprising clerk showed me where they were but said, "If you go over to Tractor Supply, you can get grade 3 bolts much cheaper that will work just as well. He was right. There is a use for bubble gum steel. Wayne
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

papawayne wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:01 am Getting real nuts and bolts is a real challenge these days. We used to have a place called Fastenal, nearby with semi-intelligent workers who knew nut and bolt grades. But they went out of business, and a wacky-weed store replaced them.
Look online. Ebay, love 'em or hate 'em, is a pretty good, but for onesey-twosey bits, shipping is a killer.
I won't go to Lowe's or Home Depot because the only phrase the high school kids in these places know is "I don't know".
Never got to Lowes of HD for fasteners, period. Nothing is correct and nothing is grade 8.
So, I stick with Ace Hardware where there is enough brain matter for the clerk to take you to the nuts and bolts and he or she knows the difference between grade five and grade 8 and will show you where they are and help you pick them out and put them in a little bag. I needed some more shear pins for my snowblower one day, and an enterprising clerk showed me where they were but said, "If you go over to Tractor Supply, you can get grade 3 bolts much cheaper that will work just as well. He was right. There is a use for bubble gum steel. Wayne
Ace is actually pretty great if all you need is a few.

If you want exactly period correct or close to it, use AMK products. I restored my 66 using their hardware. I cataloged every symbol and bolt type down to material and plating. It isn't cheap. Its best for big jobs.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Thanks, Dan, computers and I don't really have a relationship. So, Ebay and I are not intimates. Would you believe that I heard about this forum from a fellow Lincoln owner back in 2009 when I joined, but the Episcopal priest across the street a bit, actually came to my computer, found the forum and made the forum a "favorite" for me? He didn't preach at me, but I've always wondered if he wrote it down as a pastoral visit. Authenticity has always been one of my problems. I once got dinged for an air cleaner cover wing nut that was the wrong color. I still don't know what color it is supposed to be; this one is chromish. Wayne
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

We have a Fastenall here, and I used a lot of their hardware when building my shop. I can trust their quality, but they only sell in bulk. Chinese hardware, even when marked with the correct grade, is dubious, and I prefer to use a rusty OE bolt, than a shiny new one from a dubious source. I think the top bolt that broke, has a spline, but not sure. If so, you can drive it out and drive in a new one, the bottom nuts can be replaced with one with a tab attached, like an eccentric, the tab turns until it butts something, then just tighten the bolt.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

papawayne wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:50 am Thanks, Dan, computers and I don't really have a relationship. So, Ebay and I are not intimates. Would you believe that I heard about this forum from a fellow Lincoln owner back in 2009 when I joined, but the Episcopal priest across the street a bit, actually came to my computer, found the forum and made the forum a "favorite" for me? He didn't preach at me, but I've always wondered if he wrote it down as a pastoral visit. Authenticity has always been one of my problems. I once got dinged for an air cleaner cover wing nut that was the wrong color. I still don't know what color it is supposed to be; this one is chromish. Wayne
Sorry, Wayne. The AMK catalog, available online and findable through a weird tool called google.com or a "search engine", actually has a page that identifies various plating and coating materials by color and more information about those items is also findable using a search engine. Beyond that, I don't know what else to say. :smt102

As for rusty bolts, I have a collection of bolts acquired by stripping parts cars. I sandblast, powdercoat, and replate the really weird ones.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Thanks again, Dan. Stu looks here too, and he also has a 63 sedan, and he may look under his hood and may report what he sees. Sometimes LCOC judges ding stuff just because they can. When I hid my 15" wheels behind '63 wheel covers, nobody noticed. (I learned that trick here on this forum).
When I had '73 wheel covers, one judge said, "Is there anything you'd like to tell us about the wheels and the hub caps?"
siglumous
Occasional Visitor

Post by siglumous »

Just stumbled across this:

https://metrommp.com/shock_absorber_gro ... 1714392053

It lists a replacement grommet for our shocks.
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Tom, I think those are the strut rod bushings.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Replacement shock bushings should be easy to find they're pretty universal. But if the shocks are more then a few years old it might be better to just replace them all together since junk modern age rubber is what's inside them too.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, I did indicate above that I already swapped out the shock absorbers. The Monroe shocks still have resistance in them, which tells me they still have some life to them, even if they are a bit on the old side; it's only the bushings that gave out. If those can be replaced–and from the input on the thread it looks like they can be (thank you, Fraser and Siglumous! :smt006 )–I'll try that and hold them as a backup should the new Gabriels fail; after all, they are noticeably smaller than the Monroes. I haven't given the car much exercise since the swap except for the drive home from the auto shop, because I still had surgery to do on that upper-end bracket. I fixed that at home, but then I had to catch a bus to Florida to pick up my inheritance. I'm still there, having just gotten that car officially transferred to me. But when I get home I'll report back on how Frankenstein feels.

Yes, those bushings Tom posted are strut-rod bushings. It is good to know, however, that O'Reilly still offers them when I or anybody else may need them.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

siglumous wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:04 am Just stumbled across this:

https://metrommp.com/shock_absorber_gro ... 1714392053

It lists a replacement grommet for our shocks.
This looks like the upper bushing.
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

I must have been asleep when I gave the link for strut rod bushings.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

:lol: No harm, no foul, Tom. I've had gaffes in the past, fully awake when I posted them.

Yes, that link is for the top-end grommet, which also tends to wear down and break up. It's good to see new "rubber" parts for shock absorbers that would otherwise still be functional.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”