Permanent 64 top removal

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

DomDom
Occasional Visitor

Permanent 64 top removal

Post by DomDom »

Hi Everyone:
I currently own a 64 LCC and I am pondering with the option of permanently removing the top and never re-installing it again. I have no need for it and really need the trunk space for golf clubs.

Has anyone in this group every done this and is there any advice with respect to how to modify the electrical so that the trunk still functions fine with the top removed? Are there any other considerations I need to take into account when doing this?

Also... been a member for a while and have read so much of all of your posts over the years. Thanks to all of you (especially Dan S.) for all the advice and guidance on many topics.

Dom
1964 LCC
Dominique Dow
Extremely proud owner of a 1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Permanent 64 top removal

Post by Dan Szwarc »

This is easily doable IF a you think about what things need to be where when the top isn’t there.

You can permanently set the appropriate switches to top up or top down and the trunk will open and close as you wish.

You will want to disable or disconnect some relays or switches. The mechanism pushes on certain switches in the up or down position.

Do you know which ones?
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I saw a thread on here once about someone who did that, I think he had a '66.
Forgive my negativity, but that would not be my choice. Resale value will be hurt, refitting the top would be costly, and you will need a safe place to store the top, for the future. Also, Calgary is not California, weather can change very quickly there. Consider a trunk rack for the golf clubs?
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Throw them in the back seat and only have people sitting in the front.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
DomDom
Occasional Visitor

Post by DomDom »

Thanks as always Dan. This is exactly the advice I was looking for. However I dont know which ones disable or disconnect. Can you help me out with this?

Dan Szwarc wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:58 pm This is easily doable IF a you think about what things need to be where when the top isn’t there.

You can permanently set the appropriate switches to top up or top down and the trunk will open and close as you wish.

You will want to disable or disconnect some relays or switches. The mechanism pushes on certain switches in the up or down position.

Do you know which ones?
Dominique Dow
DomDom
Occasional Visitor

Post by DomDom »

I appreciate your opinion, however I'm not looking to sell this for a long time... However you are right the Calgary weather is crap and can change very quickly.
frasern wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:47 pm I saw a thread on here once about someone who did that, I think he had a '66.
Forgive my negativity, but that would not be my choice. Resale value will be hurt, refitting the top would be costly, and you will need a safe place to store the top, for the future. Also, Calgary is not California, weather can change very quickly there. Consider a trunk rack for the golf clubs?
Dominique Dow
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Def do what you want but my opinion is keep the top functionality. Keep in mind these cars are fairly rare and a convertible continues to go up in value especially non custom Lincolns. The car will be worth WAY more in the future with all the parts still on the car. Good luck!
Jberger501
Occasional Visitor

Post by Jberger501 »

Be sure to save the top and anything you remove. Otherwise when you do decide to sell, the next owner can decide if he wants to restore it. I fear you’ll wind up with an orphan.
DomDom
Occasional Visitor

Post by DomDom »

Thanks to all for the advice. Im not crazy, I have a storage shelve in my to store the top as I am keeping it incase I ever want to reinstall it.

Thanks again to this forum for all the help over the years. Have a great spring everyone!
Dominique Dow
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Dom Dom........ We share the same last name and also a love for these old Lincolns.

No advice from me but I will share a story. I own a few cars and on a beautiful blue sky day I went golfing. One of those dog days of summer with not a cloud in the sky.

Unfortunately the wind picked up suddenly on the twelfth hole and the temperature dropped noticeably. I couldn't get a good sight-line on the horizon due to the surrounding trees but when I heard thunder I said goodbye to the guys and hot-footed it back toward the clubhouse. Halfway there, the air seemed to take on a yellow hue and the rain came down in sheets blown almost sideways accompanied by about three minutes of hail. I crawled under a bench. When I got back to my convertible it had a couple of inches of water in the footwells. Everything just soaked. I still heave a big sigh when I think about it. I suppose you're a Flames fan. :)
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

I thought that selling my cars was a long way off 2 years ago. I was in good health and enjoyed driving my collector cars and modern cars. I enjoyed going to cruise nights, car shows and swap meets.

In July of 2021, I caught Covid at a Cruise night. I had a high temperature and fell backward while going up the stairs in my house. I broke my pelvis, had a compression fracture of one vertebra, and a skull fracture. While I was in the hospital, I was diagnosed with 2 types of cancer. After being treated for cancer, both of my feet are numb and my legs are very weak, and my doctors say it is very unlikely that my condition will improve enough to go back to driving. So my cars are going to be put up for sale in the near future. Just to let you know that your health can change as fast as the weather.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Darn it, Tom - You have had such a tough time. Numb feet seem to be an oft experienced side effect from certain types of Chemotherapy. I hope the broken bones mended successfully and I hope the cancer treatments were effective. Hang in there, my friend. I will add as well that your comments and advice on many topics have been very helpful to a lot of Lincoln owners and I have always enjoyed reading them.
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I'm sorry, too, Tom. You speak the truth. None of us knows what's going to happen tomorrow. Personally, I'm glad there are lots of kinds of chemo, and I'll be sincerely hoping and praying that the chemo has worked for you and that eventually you'll be back on your feet, literally. deciding to sell a car is really hard work. There are always second thoughts but find someone now who is important to you, who will constantly remind you that you did the right thing, when those second thoughts arise. Wayne
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

Rick and Wayne, thank you for your comments. My cancer has been in remission for 6 weeks, but I need to continue the treatments for the rest of my life. I still try to stay active in the hobby. I try to help out on a few Forums as time permits. My grandson is going to drive my Lincoln to the EFV8 Club National meet in June. If I find that I can handle that, my son and I will try to make the Home Coming in August. I am also lucky to have friends who help me work on my cars.

I only posted my problems to show that circumstances can change faster than you think and when you personalize a car dramatically like removing the top permanently, you reduce the market for the car. When you have to sell a collector car on a short time frame, it has to appeal to the widest audience.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Tom, thanks for your candor. Wayne

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”