Road Trip Vintage Finds

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Road Trip Vintage Finds

Post by TonyC »

Hi, all,

This is to share a couple of vintage Lincolns I stumbled across on a road trip I completed yesterday. I went to Livingston, TX on Thursday for a cigarette run; now, why would I take a 6-ish-hour road trip for cigarettes?? Long story...but before anyone gets snarky, it does not involve the green funny s**t. Homey don't play dat; it's the proper brown s**t I use. But, after coming up flat in my searches of the San Antonio smoke shops for unfiltered cigarettes, I decided that I should probably just commit to the smoke shop located in a Shell gas station near the Alabama-Coushatta Indian reservation east of Livingston, which is northeast of Houston. Besides, at $44 a carton, plus the fun of a road trip, how can I go wrong? 8-) Well, maybe there's a way...maybe I could have waited until I at least did surgery to Frankenstein's stabilizer :| . I learned about a week ago that the end links were a bit on the worn side, and the bushings were well beyond the worn side. Though I ordered a new all-inclusive kit, it hadn't arrived yet, but I still made the trip out there, hearing disconcerting thumps from the front end at low speeds and getting a taste of Taiwan's recent experience when braking at high speeds. Can anyone tell me whether worn-out stabilizer bushings and end links could contribute to low-speed thumps and an earthquake effect when braking at speeds above 40 mph...? :think: :smt017

Anyway, back to topic before I digress further: I felt just too tired to try and make the return trip Thursday night, so I checked into a local hotel with intent to return home Friday. Perhaps it was a good thing I did, not only to make sure I did not crash on the way home; but also to share a couple of lucky finds with the Forum which I likely would have missed if I tried going home on Thursday. My first discovery was a '76 Givenchy, which I saw from my hotel window at a mechanic's shop of sorts next to the hotel. That's not an everyday find, so I got a few pictures of it (see below); I didn't talk to anyone about it, so I don't know its status, but aside from a messed-up nameplate on the headlight flap it was in very good shape (not museum, but still very good). Then, on my way back, passing through Conroe, I came across a used-car dealership that had a black '62 facing the highway—the second lucky find! That one looked like a pretty much stripped example—meaning hardly any options fitted to it at the factory, save for leather upholstery and door-edge guards—but it was significantly customized, as the below pictures show. That one is for sale, but again nobody came out to talk to me, so I don't know asking price; but if anyone has an interest their contact info is pretty clear in the pictures (one of those pictures also shows how much they know–or not know–about what they have :? ). The dealership also had a '77 full-sizer under a canopy, but I didn't get any pictures of that.

So, I'm sharing what I found, Lincoln love from eastern Texas. Enjoy!

---Tony
Attachments
View from hotel room, '76 Givenchy very easy to spot
View from hotel room, '76 Givenchy very easy to spot
'76 Givenchy, close-up view #1
'76 Givenchy, close-up view #1
'76 Givenchy, close-up view #2 (yes, Frankenstein had to photobomb this one)
'76 Givenchy, close-up view #2 (yes, Frankenstein had to photobomb this one)
'76 Givenchy, very close-up view #3 (proves it's genuine, not just painted that way)
'76 Givenchy, very close-up view #3 (proves it's genuine, not just painted that way)
'62 sedan, view #1
'62 sedan, view #1
'62 sedan, view #2
'62 sedan, view #2
'62 sedan, view #3
'62 sedan, view #3
'62 sedan, view #4
'62 sedan, view #4
'62 sedan, view #5 (Frankenstein photobombed again, this one I didn't even notice until well after the fact :D)
'62 sedan, view #5 (Frankenstein photobombed again, this one I didn't even notice until well after the fact :D)
'62 sedan, dealer's slip
'62 sedan, dealer's slip
Last edited by TonyC on Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Road Trip Vintage Finds

Post by papawayne »

Nice Lincolns, Tony. Good opportunity. The 62, of course, is my fave, but I really like the Givenchy. Back in the day I called the unfiltered variety "spitters". In fact, yesterday I saw and older gentleman who used to loan them to me. If you ever need the green stuff, there are 7-10 stores within five miles of my house that have it just for the buying. One of them is a stoner's daydream. It has a huge sign out front advertising one half ounce for $130 dollars and a full ounce for only $260! Only a stoner would fail to do the math, but the store only sells to stoners anyway. Someday all of the stores are going to reach the saturation point and go out of business because here in Maine we can also grow our own for what I am guessing is much cheaper! Wayne
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I sure hope you're not thinking of putting one of those 1970s sunroofs in Frankenstein!
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I think a sunroof in Frankenstein sounds very appropriate.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

It's OK to play with the 62. I can't find the radio antenna and the headlights look odd to me. But with those changes, the sun/moon roof looks OK to me. No way I'd do it to mine, though. Well, I guess the antenna's there, after all. It's hiding. Sort of shadowy, there in the back, right where it's supposed to be. Wayne
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

frasern wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:32 am I sure hope you're not thinking of putting one of those 1970s sunroofs in Frankenstein!
Fear not, that is never going to happen. That's what 'verts are for. Honestly, I'm rather surprised that moon-roof job survived the recent storm system that went through there. Those are just not meant for hail-prone locations.
If you ever need the green stuff, there are 7-10 stores within five miles of my house that have it just for the buying. One of them is a stoner's daydream. It has a huge sign out front advertising one half ounce for $130 dollars and a full ounce for only $260! Only a stoner would fail to do the math, but the store only sells to stoners anyway.
Thanks, Wayne, but no. I will never be in need of the green s**t. S**t's supposed to be brown, not green; only very illin' types s**t green. I'm happy with $44 for a carton of brown; four cartons last me about three months.

Still waiting to see if anyone picks up on my above hint.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”