‘72 Mark iv shocks

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

‘72 Mark iv shocks

Post by Goldstar »

Anybody have any recommendations or advice regarding replacing/updating shocks for a ‘72 Mark?
Thanks!
Peter
Attachments
4E10EAD9-6251-4637-AAD1-0E1F6C271BCB.jpeg
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: ‘72 Mark iv shocks

Post by TonyC »

Well, the first step would be to know what types of shock absorbers meet the OE specs. I think an online search will reveal that. From there, any recommendations to exceed OE standards should come in.

That reminds me, I have to look into the shock specs for Frankenstein. I'm hearing thumps from the front when I turn or hit rough spots or speed bumps in the roads. I don't know if the shocks are the cause yet; but I do know it's been years since I replaced them, and the bushings at the bottoms are cracking up very noticeably.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

I notice that adjustable KYB's are still available for the IV. If you have any sporting notions, those are probably the ticket.

Whatever you do, learn from my mistake...I had the chance years ago to buy a set of NOS front shocks for the '62. They looked great, hadn't leaked...and they may have lasted 100 miles before they were complete trash. No resistance at all.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Don’t buy Monro Sensa-craps.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Shocks are a wear item, meant to be replaced. Avoid the Sensa-craps, you can figure out the real name, and get a set that fits and will also last a while. They are not a NOS part as Lee has said. Wayne
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Also, avoid Munro O E Spectrum, the bushings don't last.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

It's a bad thing when the bushings wear out before the shocks do...better that the shocks live a good long life and the bushings still be OK. Wayne
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

To be fair, they might last longer if your jurisdiction maintains it's roads.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

That's true, but whose does? The road people around here are always waiting until the next storm is over before they actually do something about the roads. We've had lots of storms this winter with a big one coming tomorrow, but most of the people I know with old cars have them safely put away. My friend Todd, who has more money than all of us, drives his old cars year-round, "like they're supposed to be driven." One year at Christmas, everyone in the family got a repro picture of Grampie McFarland driving his Model A through 8 inches of snow. If he were still with us, he would simply say, "It was winter." Wayne
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I have to admit, mine are Monroes. Starting a separate thread for my own suspected need.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”