Head light pop up on they own???

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Head light pop up on they own???

Post by Mark6 »

82 mark vi head light flips up by they selves after sitting for a day or 2, what causes this?
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Head light pop up on they own???

Post by Mike »

It's a safety thing. You'd have to check the service manual but I think those use vacuum to close them and if there's any leak they'll default to popping open rather then closing in the dark when you need them.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Be grateful it's only a day or two. All if these cars have this same vacuum problem. They go closed as soon as you start the car, right? And they work when it is raining or dark, right? The good news is that judges at an LCOC event only want to see them work, they don't care how many months they stay closed. Wayne
Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Post by Mark6 »

Mike wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:02 pm It's a safety thing. You'd have to check the service manual but I think those use vacuum to close them and if there's any leak they'll default to popping open rather then closing in the dark when you need them.
Wow really it's a safety thing? I always thought it was a slow leak in a hose or something
Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Post by Mark6 »

papawayne wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am Be grateful it's only a day or two. All if these cars have this same vacuum problem. They go closed as soon as you start the car, right? And they work when it is raining or dark, right? The good news is that judges at an LCOC event only want to see them work, they don't care how many months they stay closed. Wayne
Yes you right, it closes right up when car is started
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Mark6 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am
Wow really it's a safety thing? I always thought it was a slow leak in a hose or something
What that means is, if there is a vacuum leak, the lids will open. Open is the default position. If the default position is closed (like my Cougar), if there was a bad leak, you wouldn’t know until you turned your headlights on, and the doors don’t open.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Yes. Your problem is you have a leak. It's a safety thing that they open on their own if it leaks.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

It’s usually a faulty check valve and can also be a cracked headlamp switch in the vacuum switch portion.
Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Post by Mark6 »

Is there any diagrams? Was trying to find 1 online, where's the check valve located
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Here you go.
Attachments
IMG_0719.jpeg
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

It could also be something simpler, like a hose that has become brittle with age and can no longer seal vacuum. It could be split at a fitting end, or broken at any spot, or just hardened. The tricky thing is finding the cause.

If the components like the headlight switch or check valve are sound, then it has to be a bad hose somewhere in the engine bay.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Post by Mark6 »

Thanks Lee for the diagram and Tony thanks you right something could be brittle I'm definitely going to go over this weekend while I'm off
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The check valve is going to be in-line with the vacuum source (engine or vacuum tee) and then tee into the storage and the main headlight system. It may also be the tee itself with the center line going to the source,

It prevents the system from losing vacuum when the engine is off.

If this doesn’t make any sense, think about how vacuum works or find a detailed vacuum manual.

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”