1964 Fuel Fill neck

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Topside64
Occasional Visitor

1964 Fuel Fill neck

Post by Topside64 »

I have trouble at the gas pump. I go to fill tank and only able to fill up a couple gallons and gas comes spitting out into the overflow area behind the gas cap. I have also tried turning gas nozzle upside down. I have replaced o-ring for fuel sender, new tank, new fill neck o ring so i'm at a loss. My crazy question is that does the fill neck extend into the tank and rest close to the far wall of the tank. So that, could I get better gas flow/fill potentail if I pull the filler tube/neck out and cut an inch or so off of the end? an angled cut toward the bottom even? Maybe that's crazy talk but I'm not sure what else to do.
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1964 Fuel Fill neck

Post by Solid »

Well take this with a grain of salt since 1964 has a different tank layout than my '62, but there is a vent system on the tank itself in 62 that snakes up into the area more or less behind the seats/above the rear axle. It is a couple of flexible hoses as well as a metal can that looks like a charcoal can but isn't. You might find that there is an equivalent that has been blocked by a nesting insect etc so that air cannot escape as the tank is being filled.
nitronick

Post by nitronick »

I agree from past experience with non Lincoln cars with the same issue it's a tank vent issue.
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

In the 65, which is probably the same as the 64, the maintenance manual page 10-34 says the tank is vented through a vent tube on top of the tank. So in the 65 to get there would require tank removal.
Robert DeFrang
Topside64
Occasional Visitor

Post by Topside64 »

VENTING! ok thanks I will look into it. Trust me I did a lot of "venting" Sunday morning as this was my 4th-5th gas tank/fuel related issue. this car will be all down hill once i can get the gas tank figured out. smh
Juanj64

Re: 1964 Fuel tank removal

Post by Juanj64 »

Need help on how to remove fuel tank off my 64
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

First, run your fuel level down to 1/4 tank. Second, get the car on an overhead rack; it may be a 2-post suspension rack or a 4-post drive-on rack, but it must hold the car over your head. Third, after the car is on the rack but before you raise it, remove the filler tube. Fourth, after the car is raised, disconnect the wires and fuel lines from the sending unit at the forward side of the tank. Fifth, unscrew the nuts that hold the retaining straps for the tank, and remove the straps one at a time (there are two). Sixth, carefully lower the tank and drain out the remaining fuel. Done. Installation is an exact reversal of removal.

Why so involved? The tank is vertically set between the rear axle and the forward wall of the trunk, not horizontally beneath the trunk like '63 and older Lincolns, among other cars back then, had.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Does that car have a o-ring gasket on the filler neck where it plugs into the top of the tank? The Mark has that and it about killed me shoving that filler neck back into the tank. I had to grease it and give it everything I had to get it in there!
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

The only thing I would add to what Tony said, is to unbolt one end of the shocks. Then the axle housing will hang lower to give you more clearance getting it out.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

My pathetic memory thinks that I've done this once before, as Tony has described. I also think when it was time to put everything back together, that I used a sawhorse, under the lift, to guide the leaf spring back into place, or maybe that was when I had the leaf springs changed. Don't lose your mind, it is one of the hazards of old age. Wayne
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I was able to remove the tank from my '68 with it on jack stands, I have a hoist, but it was in use. The hardest part was removing the neck, the O ring was dried and fused to a rusty neck and I had to fabricate a "grabber" for it, use a come along hooked to a tree and hammer around the gasket to vibrate it. I also had to chain the body to another tree, to keep the jack stands from tipping while pulling the neck. Working on rusty parts cars builds character!
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.