66 Continental Power Steering Line

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Emas9420
Frequent Contributor

Re: 66 Continental Power Steering Line

Post by Emas9420 »

Lee wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:47 am
Emas9420 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:19 am Ok, i got the hose pretty quick since I'm also here in florida and i replaced it yesterday. Wasn't an EXACT fit, but i made it work..

I filled up the reservoir and tried to bleed it as best i could (turning the steering lock to lock + running the wipers).

I noticed (and maybe this is normal but never realized before), that while the wipers are running at top speed, the steering wheel becomes almost impossible to turn (while parked).. I had to bring up the revs if i wanted the wipers on at full and turn the wheels at the same time.

I also noticed that if the wipers are on half speed, turning is a bit hard but makes the wipers stop moving or move real slow.

Is this normal operation? i imagine it is considering that they share the same system.. It's a little odd if you ask me. OR is it that the system is not bled properly? and if not, how do i bleed it so this does not happen?
That’s not normal. I can tell no difference in steering effort or wiper speed based on engine speed, or what is operating at any time. I would suggest that you double check the fluid level, look for foaming, then look for a kinked or collapsed line (even on the return side) A dirty, clogged filter could also do it.

If you find no restrictions in the system, the pump could be worn, and not delivering adequate pressure/volume. But I’d get a hydraulic pressure gauge and check before getting in that deep.
I drove it and need to retest it. I think it’s a little better now. The level is good, I did see a bit of foaming.. not terrible just a tiny bit. What is the cause of this?
Where is the filter in this system? I’ve always wondered cause I saw it being sold but never knew where or how to get to it.
- Emanuel
Emas9420
Frequent Contributor

Post by Emas9420 »

TonyC wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:53 pm Question: Is that only with the wipers running, or do you also happen to notice a bit of resistance regardless, while the car is stationary? Have you ever done anything about the spacers that attach the gearbox to the subframe?

If the answer to the last question is no, then that's something that needs to be remedied. I've explained why in the past. John Brewer also has kits to remedy that situation; so does M2E, though their design is different.

---Tony
I did manage to change the spacers in the gearbox.

It was only doing it while the car was stationary and wipers on.. this was while I was refilling the system. So maybe now that I drove it it’s gone. It did not happen while driving but then again as I said, when I revd the car it worked good. Maybe it was air trapped… maybe pump is going bad?
- Emanuel
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Emas9420 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:44 pm I drove it and need to retest it. I think it’s a little better now. The level is good, I did see a bit of foaming.. not terrible just a tiny bit. What is the cause of this?
Where is the filter in this system? I’ve always wondered cause I saw it being sold but never knew where or how to get to it.
It is inside the reservoir. Easy enough to change, and there’s every likelihood that yours is original.
If there is resistance on the suction side (like from a dirty filter) it makes it easier for some air to get pulled into the system, and cavitation at the pump.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Ahh, so the filter was never disturbed...yes, that could be a contributor. It doesn't help that the shop manual doesn't cover the reservoir in any detail. John Brewer sells new, OE-correct filters. His kit also comes with detailed instructions on how to install it.

I wouldn't say the pump itself is going bad, yet. When it groans with a full load of fluid, or when it leaks fluid, then it's going bad. If the relief valve is jammed, you'll know when the pump belches out fluid all over the port (for land-lovers that's the driver's) side of the engine bay.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)