Volt, temp,oil pressure guages?

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Volt, temp,oil pressure guages?

Post by Mark6 »

Hello ass I'm considering adding a aftermarket 3 guage volt,temp and oil pressure guages to keep a eye on things a little better on my 82 mark vi with the 302 motor. Has anybody else done this to there lincolns? And pics of you alls install? Any tips and installing one
Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Re: Volt, temp,oil pressure guages?

Post by Mark6 »

Here's a kit I bought from a friend hope I got a good one
Attachments
20240315_185053.jpg
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

If you got an electric oil gauge, you will need to change the sender on the engine, I don't know if it was included in the kit. I would use a tee, and leave the old sender as well, so both the gauge and light are functional.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Post by Mark6 »

Not sure but here what came with the kit
Attachments
20240315_214443.jpg
Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Post by Mark6 »

My only concern is the oil pressure switch is by the oil filter and I'm worried about the plastic line that comes with the kit will will be next to alot of heat, I heard the ones with the copper lines are better?
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Uhh...

Not meaning to drown any just-because aspirations you may have, but what's wrong with the existing gauges...? I'm presuming your car has the digital setup that my grand's old Humpback-Conti of the same year had, which has all those gauges already. I mean, numbers on small clock faces like those really mean nothing except to maybe a NASCAR or Indy driver–certainly not the types of driving conditions a Mark VI could ever come close to meeting. I'd see them as risky a distraction as a texting device.

Besides, yes, that plastic hose for the oil gauge is just a dreadful mess waiting to happen. A guy I knew a long time ago tried doing that same gauge setup to his Mark IV and learned that the hard way.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

That is not an electric gauge, so no sender will be used. It looks like everything is included, converting that plastic tube to copper is doable, but that is not a perfect solution either, as copper line will vibrate, it could crack or come loose.
If you already have gauges, these will be redundant so I agree with Tony, but if not, I'm not going to discourage it.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

I agree with Tony. Even a hard line will have a seal where it goes into the guage plus the guage itself that youre relying on what is probably a cheap chinese part to not leak at some point. I've never had the problem myself but have heard horror stories of people having their carpet wrecked with oil.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

I ran mechanical gauges years ago when I raced the Cougar, but for ordinary applications, electrical gauges are fine, and easier to install, IMO.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Post by Mark6 »

Ok looking into a electrical one now, so that one don't use the hose for the oil but just a electrical reading instead?
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Mark6 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:43 pm Ok looking into a electrical one now, so that one don't use the hose for the oil but just a electrical reading instead?
Correct. There will be a sensor that screws into the oil passage where the current sensor is. Wires run from there. You really should use a T fitting, so the factory gauge or light will continue to operate.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Post by Mark6 »

Ok guess I'll just sell this 1 then find the copper style

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”