‘72 Mark IV power steering

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

‘72 Mark IV power steering

Post by Goldstar »

Greetings all,
Anybody have any experience with leaking power steering lines? One of mine is leaking right where the rubber line meets the large metal crimp line. I’m wondering if I can just repair the seal or do I need to source a whole new line.
Attachments
0BF5FDF9-FBA2-4035-B5A4-0B1D37374295.jpeg
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: ‘72 Mark IV power steering

Post by Lee »

If it’s original, and you want to keep it (and there’s no other apparent cracks) you might have success re-crimping it. However, given the location, if it lets go and pours over the hot exhaust manifold, you’ll probably have a fire on your hands.

https://www.amazon.com/Hydraulic-Manual ... TWZZJ&th=1
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

There are so many places that can make them now, there is no reason not to replace them. If yours are original. they are old. I had mine made at NAPA, while I waited, just give them the originals to work with, and then discovered another local place could do them even cheaper, a place called Brake Service.
Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Goldstar »

Didn’t know they could be made, I’ll check around, thanks. I’d prefer to fix it myself but not if I have to buy an expensive crimper I’ll use once!
Thank you both,
Peter
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Replace them. However, new crimped lines may not resemble the originals, even if you can find them from Lincoln Suppliers.

The rubber is degraded internally and at the crimp. Heat and age is why it leaks. You don’t have to replace every line but if you’re going to be draining the system, why not be a little preventative?
Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Goldstar »

Thanks. I see ‘72 Linc lines are purportedly available but I haven’t looked closely yet to see if the bends are similar. At first glance, they are not the same, but might work just the same.