2004 Lincoln Mark X prototype to be auctioned

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 2004 Lincoln Mark X prototype to be auctioned

Post by papawayne »

Imperial Crown Ghia must mean Chrysler? Wayne
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

papawayne wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:47 pm Imperial Crown Ghia must mean Chrysler? Wayne
Yes, from 1955 to 1975 and 1981 to 1983 Imperial was a brand/division of Chrysler similar to how Continental was a brand/division of Ford in the late 1950s. In 1964, "Imperial" was the make not the model.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Thanks for the info: it is good to learn these things. Am I now confusing Plymouth and Dodge, and something that seems to be missing, with Chrysler? No need to answer unless you are bored, as I think that many manufacturers have dropped divisions. I still have a Mercury to remind me of that. Wayne
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

papawayne wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:52 pm Am I now confusing Plymouth and Dodge, and something that seems to be missing, with Chrysler? No need to answer unless you are bored, as I think that many manufacturers have dropped divisions.
Are you thinking of AMC? Desoto? Maxwell?

How old are you, Wayne??? :lol:
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Wow, I forgot about AMC. One of the TV ads for the Gremlin had a lady pull up to a gas station and the attendant (remember attendants?) said, "Where's the rest of your car, Toots?" I'm too young to remember Maxwell, I'm technically only 66, which may make me younger than you. My brother, who is two years older than me says we've all left the highway, and we're all on the exit ramp. (I did love the Franklin at the Gilmore, though...worth seeing. A friend of mine once showed me a book that listed all of the American manufacturers of cars. There are tons of them! I have a friend who once had a Brush. Fortunately, we also live near enough to a museum that has many one-off brass era cars. I have relatives behind the desk which helps, and a cousin who only does Model A's. He calls my 63 a used car. Wayne
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

papawayne wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:52 pm Thanks for the info: it is good to learn these things. Am I now confusing Plymouth and Dodge, and something that seems to be missing, with Chrysler? No need to answer unless you are bored, as I think that many manufacturers have dropped divisions. I still have a Mercury to remind me of that. Wayne
Chrysler has had a few different brands in its history including Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, Imperial, Jeep, Eagle, and Ram. Plymouth, DeSoto, Imperial, and Eagle are all gone.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Don't forget Fargo trucks!
Afterthought; I guess Dodge trucks are extinct too now.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Wayne, I am only a couple of years behind you, so I remember that "toots" commercial, from back in the unfiltered '70s, when you could say that!
'62 and '67 LCC.
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

frasern wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:37 am Afterthought; I guess Dodge trucks are extinct too now.
Yes, "Dodge Trucks" became "Ram" in 2009 (2010 model year).
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

frasern wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:53 am Tim Howley did a writeup a few years back, The Mark X was built as a styling prototype and had no engine. Jim Powers, the designer, bought it from Ford, added the engine, and got it driveable.
I guess he did that to match the Thunderbird of the era. That AJ35 engine is complete garbage! They tend to fill the spark plug tubes up full of engine oil and short out the coils due to a terrible valve cover/gasket design. Also they love to overheat! Idk why Ford ever used a Jaguar engine in anything!

He should have put a supercharged 4.6L 4 valve engine in it like a Cobra. If he would have done that the car would have been bad ass!
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Powers proposed a T Bird and Lincoln designed around the same tooling, but it was not built, that car was built at a later date, using those drawings. When Powers added the engine, I think he chose one that would have been used in the original concept.
Likely, that car will be a garage queen or museum piece, not a cruiser.
'62 and '67 LCC.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

…and I think getting it registered and licensed would be well nigh impossible.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I had the 3.9L V8 in my ‘02 LS. I thought it was fantastic. Although, with 100k+ already on it the engine defects were already addressed by the time I got it. I’ve heard the stories. Had nothing but trouble with the HVAC system on it. Otherwise it was a joy to drive.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I remember "Eagle"...It was a very short run, wasn't it? They looked a little bit like Jeeps, didn't they? They had sedans, right? 'Course some people call these things "saloons". Wayne
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

papawayne wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:40 pm I remember "Eagle"...It was a very short run, wasn't it? They looked a little bit like Jeeps, didn't they? They had sedans, right? 'Course some people call these things "saloons". Wayne
The Eagle you are referring to may be the 4-wheel drive AMC model. The Eagle brand was created from Chrysler's acquisition of AMC in 1987. Eagle, as a Chrysler Corporation brand, was sold from 1988 to 1998 and there were several different models offered during that time including hatchbacks, sedans and station wagons.

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”