Dimming, what can be the cause of this??

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Dimming, what can be the cause of this??

Post by Mark6 »

On my 82 mark vi as you can see in the video below, my interior lights dim but when I give it some gas it gets brighter, is this normal or sign of a failing alternator or not the right size battery? https://streamable.com/x80nj0?src=player-page-share
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Dimming, what can be the cause of this??

Post by Mike »

A weak battery or bad wiring can do that. If everything else is good a bad voltage regulator will also cause that. Typically the headlights will brighten and dim too.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Mike is right. I'd start with the regulator, but a weak alternator it could also be. You can have the alternator tested at your local shop if they are not complete idiots. Warning: cheap chinese regulators are also BAD off the shelf so keep your old one, just in case. THe same may be true of alternators.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I have a Ford Taurus station wagon of indeterminate year. and the brakes will dim the headlights first thing in the morning at dark thirty. I have learned to live with it, because it only happens in the morning once. Something tells me this is normal, but I will ask. Wayne
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Wayne; Check the grounds on the taillights, explaining why would be wordy, but that's always the first thing to check. Same goes for Mark6, cleaning up all the grounds you can find will never hurt anything, it's free, and may prevent a future problem you haven't even thought of yet.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Tis true. I soldered an extra ground wire to the taillights on my 63 and they beamed wonderfully. after not working at all. I don't know whose idea it was in design to have them pick up their ground just from the sockets pushed into a hole in the body. Wayne
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

If it does that all the time, I’d say you have a problem. But if you only notice it in the first few minutes after starting, and there is no alternator light glowing, I wouldn’t worry about it. You don’t get full alternator output at idle speed, and it’s busy recharging the battery right after you start it. I will see that effect on all my cars from time to time, and to some degree; generators are typically worse than alternators. You see it much less if you keep the battery fully charged on a trickle charger all the time like I do.

If you think there’s still a problem, you can get a cheap digital voltmeter you plug into the cigarette lighter, if you want to monitor the system voltage while you drive.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Post by Mark6 »

Where's the voltage regulator located in a 82? I'll try to get the alternator/battery tested with a volt meter I got
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

That was a question I was about to ask myself. I know that, after a certain year, Ford followed GM's lead (again) and designed an alternator with an integrated regulator. If one or the other fails, the whole unit comes out for replacement. But I don't know exactly what year that started.

On a side note (but related), I have noticed a similar issue with Frankenstein during initial start-ups at night, from the dash lights; it's like they're pulsating. But I have not yet suffered any battery drain, nor the idiot light flickering on and off; so I've let it be so far.

My alternator has only the then-stock capacity of 55 amps, the only one O'Reilly has to fit Frankenstein. It's held up for 2-1/2 years, and I do have a new spare with a 70-amp capacity (bought that about a year ago off E-Bay) should the one installed pack it up. Trick is, however, that I'd need somebody to swap the pulleys between old and new; so I'd be pretty much hosed if the alternator failed me on an isolated roadway, even if I had the new one on-hand with me.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

When I looked it up on rock auto it still listed a seperate voltage regulator. Especially with questionable parts these days it's a lot easier when they're seperate.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”