1979 Mark V console lights

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

1979lincolnfan

1979 Mark V console lights

Post by 1979lincolnfan »

I have removed my center console for some repairs. Neither one of the console lights are functional. The console doors did not close properly, so I had to repair that issue first. I will post the repair for that issue in the appropriate category. Who ever owned the vehicle previously realized the console lights would stay on with the console doors ajar, so they cut the wires to the lights rather than simply removing the bulb ( gee thanks) I have tried to remove the wires from the socket and it seems almost impossible, so I'd like to replace the light sockets entirely. Does anyone have a part number or a source for the replacement socket?
Attachments
console light socket.jpg
console light socket 2.jpg
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 1979 Mark V console lights

Post by TonyC »

Indeed; I hate wiring-rapists! I would not say it's impossible to remove the contacts from the shell; tricky, yes, but not impossible. They have tabs on them to snap them into place and hold them in place; the trick is to locate the snap tabs and press them inward with a thin-enough screwdriver to release them. Then you can splice new wire to the remaining wire and snap the contacts back into the shell.

Considering your apparent craftiness from your fix of the console doors (that was pretty cool, BTW 8) ), I think that repair should be within your talents.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: 1979 Mark V console lights

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Agree with Tony. There appears to be just enough of a wiring stub for each conductor to affect a repair. Pop the contacts out along with the wiring as Tony suggested and then you can solder/heat shrink and reinsert the contacts into the original light housing. Highly doubtful you can find something to replace the housing and fit correctly/look nice.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”