Replacement lock actuators for 1978 Continental

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

78_towncar_460
Addicted to Lincolns

Replacement lock actuators for 1978 Continental

Post by 78_towncar_460 »

I am looking at this replacement part for a front door power lock actuator: Dorman 746-147. They say it will fit an 82-87 Lincoln, but it looks very similar to the 1978 actuator except for a few things. Has anyone ever tried one of these? The electrical connection looks the same and I would imagine if the bracket doesn't fit, it could be transplanted into the old cradle. They come with about 5 different actuating rod styles.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-16349-746-147.aspx
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Mike
1978 Lincoln Continental Town Car
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Replacement lock actuators for 1978 Continental

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I have a set of actuators from a 1979 collectors series in my attic. If test them and they are ok (they’ve been up there 10 years), how does $60 shipped for both sound?
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I took the actuator from a '97 truck and put it in a '84 once, had to tweak the bracket and wiring a bit, but no one sees it in there, so I would say it's do-able. But Dans offer seems easier.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I'm thinking that the plungers for my non-stock system would also work, though the support bracket and wire connectors would likely need some mildish modding to fit. However, nothing beats OE options for fit. Being that I had some recent fit issues with a Dorman item (turn-signal cam, not a lock plunger), I take pause in that option for replacement. On the other hand, Dorman did help me out with freeze plugs during the engine rebuild 2-1/2 years ago.

Maybe you can luck out and get a good OE plunger from a contemporary GM model, if your local junkyards have any such organ donors. I seem to remember that the solenoid/plunger power-lock components were the same for Fords and GMs in that time.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I found mine.

Just buy the Dorman motors. The rubber boots on these are all dried and disintegrated. Unless they’re too expensive.
78_towncar_460
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by 78_towncar_460 »

Ok, I'll give one of these a try and see how they work.
Mike
78_towncar_460
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by 78_towncar_460 »

Update. Regardless of the note saying 1980 and onward, these Dorman locks work just fine for the 1978 model year (at least for the front passenger door). If I recall, the front door locks have identical linkages. I do not remember what the rear door lock linkage looks like, but if none of the Dorman linkages work, you could probably figure something out. They come with several different linkages and the motor is fully sleeved in rubber; the polarity and connector is identical. None of the linkages are an exact match, but there is only one that is a similar length; it works just fine. I used the old cradle as it already had a bolt that worked.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Mike

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”