Rear seatbelts in 65

Details such as correct colors, plating material, inspection marks, orientation, and even the number of wipes that should occur for a vacuum-powered windshield wiper system after pushing the "wash" button.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Jim65Linc

Rear seatbelts in 65

Post by Jim65Linc »

Any recommendations for a supplier that makes a good reproduction rear seatbelt? I want something that looks like it came in my 65 with black interior originally. Alternatively, I can call around to usual suspects or post a want ad to see if I can find some old ones. Does anyone know if seatbelts differed significantly from 62 to 65? Thx.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Rear seatbelts in 65

Post by papawayne »

Not a clue. In 1990, when I got my 63, my wife demanded rear seat belts. I got them from a pick-it junk yard off a Ford Granada. (Lincoln something or rather) They are still there, and they were easy to install. They say "Ford" on them. Wayne
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

They were definitely different for ‘65. This is from the 1965 data book.

They were optional (front only) in 61-62. In 63, rears also became optional. On Jan 1, 1964, fronts became standard. Then for 65, the fronts got retractors, but rear was still optional. In 66, both front (retractable) and rear (non-retractable) were standard. In 1967, front shoulder belts became optional, and in 1968, rear shoulder belts became optional. Finally, in 1969, front shoulder belts became standard (because they were federally mandated). Whew!
Attachments
IMG_0619.jpeg
Last edited by Lee on Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
amaria13

Post by amaria13 »

Jim,

I have a 65 convertible. I have some originalblack belts and buckles. Call me at 248 645 1729Iamin the Detroit area

Tony Maria
Jim65Linc

Post by Jim65Linc »

Thx. I am going to put at least two in the back as I've got three kids and every one of their friends in the neighborhood insists we take the Lincoln on donut runs, drives to practice, etc., rather than my boring everyday driver. My car has two in the front and they looked real to me as they had Ford tags on them, but now that I've got more information, I am going to go back and re-look. I'm guessing that since seatbelts were an option, they didn't have one middle front or middle back. I am probably overthinking it. It seems so long ago when I was a kid and I'd ride standing on the middle hump hanging over the front seat in my Dad's '68 Impala. I turned out okay.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Lee, I don't recall my 66 having retractors for the rear seats, and I know my 67 and 68 don't.
The release buttons on 66 and 67 were different, and on my 67, rear belts are not the same as the front, I will try to see if the 68 is the same. Here is a picture of the 68 rear, still wrapped in factory plastic, under the back seat cushion.
DSCF5157.JPG
Never been used, funny part is someone paid extra for headrests and front shoulder straps, but never even knew there were rear belts back there!
Jim, just an idea I have heard in the truck world, some people add a middle seat belt of a different colour, so as not to get them confused.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Also, if you want to verify if yours are original, look for this tag.
DSCF5182 (2).JPG
It will have a date, right of FoMoCo.
'62 and '67 LCC.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

frasern wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:11 pm Lee, I don't recall my 66 having retractors for the rear seats, and I know my 67 and 68 don't.
You’re right Fraser. I meant to say that front and rear belts were standard for that year. But only the fronts were retractable. I rewrote it.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Jim65Linc wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:46 am It seems so long ago when I was a kid and I'd ride standing on the middle hump hanging over the front seat in my Dad's '68 Impala. I turned out okay.
And if you were really little, you could ride up on the package tray! I think I turned out OK too, but I’m not a completely impartial witness.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
Jim65Linc

Post by Jim65Linc »

Fraser,

Thanks for the photo. Very helpful. My front seatbelts definitely match yours with a 7/64 date on both. They look real.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I read in a Collectible Automobile article long ago that the shoulder belts became standard during '68 production, like in January 1968. Then the following January head rests became standard (that detail was not in the article; I learned that here).

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Those running changes keep us all on our toes, I didn't know shoulder straps became standard during the year. I looked at the mount, and compared it to the '66, there is no way to safely retrofit them without some cutting and welding.

So, here are the front and rear buttons on my '68, the '67 are the same.
DSCF9371.JPG
DSCF9369.JPG
I knew they changed in '67, but hadn't noticed that they continued with the old button for the rear, I think your '65 belts will be the type used on the second picture, as are the '66s. As such, you should be able to use black rear belts from any year.
'62 and '67 LCC.