1966 Convertible Rear Window

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

blaroche
Occasional Visitor

1966 Convertible Rear Window

Post by blaroche »

Hello everyone,

First time posting here but I’ve spent lots of time reading this forum over the years working on our ‘67 sedan. About a week ago we acquired a ‘66 convertible that has been off the road for some time. Fortunately, the top works flawlessly along with all but one of the windows. The drivers rear window did not work at all when we brought the car home. I’ve got a bit of experience with the power windows in these from repairing the ones on our sedan, but it seems the issue we are having with this one might be an auto drop related issue. After testing for power, everything pointed to a dead window motor. It would not run even when power was applied to it. So after pulling the motor and regulator out, I replaced the motor, cleaned, and reinstalled everything. Now, the auto drop works as it should, however, it seems as though the motor tries to keep running once the window returns to the full up position. When this happens, the window switches no longer work (both the switch on the master panel and the rear switch) until the door is re opened. At that point the window drops, and using the switch we can roll the window the remainder of the way down to the fully open position. The door can then be shut and the window operates normally through the switches. I have a feeling this is what killed the old motor. Seems like this would point to an issue with the current limiter relay, as we lose control of the window switch when this occurs. If anyone else has encountered a similar situation I would greatly appreciate your input. Thank you all.

-Bazil
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 1966 Convertible Rear Window

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Pull the rear seat to access the rear window relays. If one side works great and the other does not, you can swap the relays from left to right to isolate a bad relay. Outermost relay to outermost relay, innermost to innermost.

I think the current sense relay is the one with the largest housing.

You can open the relay housing by prying the tabs. It may only need adjustment or a slight cleaning of the contacts although the relay is designed to OPEN when the window hits top of travel, thus breaking the circuit, so contacts isn't the likely cause.

If you determine it's a relay, post a pick of it. I may have a spare I can sell you. It would be like $37 shipped in USA.
blaroche
Occasional Visitor

Post by blaroche »

Dan, thanks for the input. I will test it using the relay on the passenger side and will let you know what I discover. Thanks again!
blaroche
Occasional Visitor

Post by blaroche »

After removing the rear seat and swapping the current sensing relay from the passenger side, the window operated normally. So it looks like we have a faulty current sensing relay, part C6VB-14A153-A. Dan, if you happen to have a good one of these around, I will happily take it. I appreciate your help in diagnosing the issue.
Attachments
IMG_3494.jpeg
IMG_3495.jpeg
blaroche
Occasional Visitor

Post by blaroche »

An update to this… after cleaning the contacts and adjusting the spring tension of the relay it appears to operate correctly now. The auto drop is back to working as it should. Glad it wasn’t terribly difficult to remedy!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I have two relays and both are marked OK, but the part number is marked as C3CB-14A153-A.
I think they came out of a 1965 Lincoln.

However, I am unable to confirm that the part is interchangeable with the C6VB part you have.

The connector is black with three wires.
Two wires appear to be green and go to female terminals.
One wire, noticeably thicker, goes to the male terminal.
blaroche
Occasional Visitor

Post by blaroche »

Thanks Dan. I checked Chris Dunn’s website which lists the 63-65 current sensing relay separately from the 66-67 relay. Unfortunately I don’t have a master parts manual to check the interchangeability, but I have a feeling they may be slightly different. Thankfully for the time being the windows are operational, although I am going to pull both rear regulators as the windows move rather slowly and I can visibly see a stuck roller on one. The front window regulators will be cleaned and I will add relays for both windows. Adding the relays to the front windows of our ‘67 sedan made a huge difference, so I am sure this car will benefit from the same treatment. Thanks again for your help.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Good work. I was going to suggest repair. Glad you figured it out. I’ll mark these relays as 63-65 only.
anteek.slab66

Post by anteek.slab66 »

I might need the same relay for a 66! Having same issue! ugh :)
@anteek.slab66

Cars. Travel. Family.

1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible
2012 Lincoln MKS
2020 Ford Edge ST
2024 Kia K5 GT
2011 Ford Fusion SEL
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Normally I don't kibitz on 'vert issues, but there is one thing I want to do when the world finally provides what it owes me. Being that the back windows are glass in '66/7, one upgrade I intend to do is install a defroster grid to that window. Installing the grid on a 'vert ought to be much easier than on a sedan; it's the routing of the wiring that may prove the tricky challenge.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

anteek.slab66 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:43 pm I might need the same relay for a 66! Having same issue! ugh :)
Well, you know how to test it. Let us know what you find.

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”