'69 Mark III - does anyone have OEM part # for distributor?

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

BobCT
Occasional Visitor

'69 Mark III - does anyone have OEM part # for distributor?

Post by BobCT »

And, were they dual point from the factory? Pertronix thinks I might have the wrong module for my car which is currently Pertronix # 1281.

I'm fairly certain my distributor is original to the car. The only thing I see is "Autolite 12127" on the side. Is there a Ford part # as well?

Bob
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: '69 Mark III - does anyone have OEM part # for distributor?

Post by Lee »

The 1281 should fit almost every Ford V8 from 1958 to the early 70s. They were not dual point. I’ll see if I can find the #, but really, they all take the same point plate and Pertronix unit.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Part number is C8VF-12127-G.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
BobCT
Occasional Visitor

Post by BobCT »

damn, I thought this might have been the smoking gun. Ok, thanks for checking and part #.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

You are running their matching coil? If not, the coil you run needs to be => 1.5 ohms. You might check…
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
BobCT
Occasional Visitor

Post by BobCT »

yes, using their coil.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

There's another thing I thought of, which you may want to examine. I just remembered your car has the old point setup, meaning a negative wire (sources I read call it the "primary wire") that goes between the points and the "-" side of the coil. Does the Pertronix system you have require using this wire? If so, you need to examine its condition. I've learned that, over time, this wire will become very brittle; when it does, it tends to break the core. It may not be a full break, but it may be enough to not allow full current to pass through it. Examine that wire, especially at the point it goes through the distributor shell. If it feels very floppy, it's likely broken and in need of replacement. However, I must stress that you cannot replace it with just any piece of wire, like standard copper wire. The metal of the core is not copper, so using any copper wire will cause more ignition problems not far down the road, so to speak.

New negative (or primary) wires can be found on E-Bay; at least that's where I found one. They will not have the molded plug the originals have to seal dirt from getting into the distributor; however, if you can carefully slice the original plug length-wise on one side with a razor, you may be able to transfer that piece from the old wire to the new one.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)