How much fuel is in my tank?

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: How much fuel is in my tank?

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

frasern wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:40 am Sorry 55, but it still matters, I just changed a tank in my diesel truck on a hoist, with a transmission jack, and that fuel sloshes, it changes balance very quickly. Do-able, but easier with the fuel out.
I used an electric pump to transfer as much as I could, but you can also dis-connect the fuel line at the engine end and route it into a jerry can, it will gravity feed until empty. Sometimes feeding a hose through the filler tube is difficult, even more so on newer vehicles.
You use a ratchet strap over the top of the tank to secure it to the jack. Once you lower it down far enough you can set it on saw horses, screw Jack's or whatever you got. The trick is you need a 3 stage transmission jack.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Dan Szwarc wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:39 pm More suggestions: dremel with a brown stone disk across the bolts and a large box fan blowing directly into the area.

Or cut the straps at the bottom. Same big fan.

Ive dropped tanks with 1/4 tank of gas all by myself. Not impossible. Tip the tank away from the filler neck when low enough and it contains the fuel. Raise the car higher after to slide it out without more tipping.
If you cut the straps you just use tin snips. Reciprocating saws are also sparkless for the most part.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Guys, thanks for all the tips. I was able drop the tank after finally breaking the nuts free. One of them I was getting nowhere and finally resorted to cutting the strap. Turns out I was right, the tank was virtually empty.
Dan, yes the bolts are not caged, as you wrote, the bolts have a square head that locks into a slot.
I’ve dropped several tanks in the past, but have never had so much trouble with the straps. Anyway, the good news is that it’s down and ready to be boiled out.
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Awesome! I love living vicariously through your successes.