1977 Dealer License Plate

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

1977 Dealer License Plate

Post by John Mc »

Hi guys, just installed my newly acquired 1977 Illinois Auto Dealer plate. Perfect jewelry for my ‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top.
IMG_0437.jpeg
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: 1977 Dealer License Plate

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Are you a car dealer?
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:51 pm Are you a car dealer?
Oh no, just an unusual plate and in this God-forsaken state, you can wear any plate you want as long as it matches the year of your car.
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I know someone who only buys older plates that are his initials. I think he also looks for dealer or mfg plates.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

It's pretty hard to find old plates that are available to be used here. I have some year of manufacture plates for the lincoln but they're for show only.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

We're one of those states, too, so I spoke to an old collector of many things, and he GAVE me a shiny set of 63 plates for my car. In those days, plates came with little slots in them for the year. Now we use stickers, of course. He's now gone to collector's heaven, wherever that is, and the city has been trying to get his wife to clean up the yard. She sees it as a tribute to him. The kids can't wait to call the dumpster people. Wayne
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

We are allowed to display any plate of any year at the rear, but the vehicle must be registered with a modern plate with the same characters, the modern plate must be used if we leave the province. I believe this is because the police plate number reader cannot recognize the YOM plate, and would confuse it with another jurisdiction that resembles it.
We are also, only required to have a rear plate, and only issued one plate, so we can put whatever we want on the front.

Our present plate design came out in '77, so there's really no unique YOM option for my '77 F250, so I put a 1960 plate on the front.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

lol. Michigan couldn’t give a sh*t if other states can’t “read” or look up our YOM plates. Not even Michigan can do it. The plates are not even in the computer system of regular plates. I think they’re stored in a file cabinet in the salt mines under Detroit. :D

Of course, these are collector car plates that are supposed to be for “special occasions” and limited use, going on a 6600 mile nationwide trip isn’t specifically excluded (like Mike and I did in 2017 in my 66), if that kind of trip isn’t special, I don’t know what is.
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

frasern wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:58 am We are allowed to display any plate of any year at the rear, but the vehicle must be registered with a modern plate with the same characters, the modern plate must be used if we leave the province. I believe this is because the police plate number reader cannot recognize the YOM plate, and would confuse it with another jurisdiction that resembles it.
We are also, only required to have a rear plate, and only issued one plate, so we can put whatever we want on the front.

Our present plate design came out in '77, so there's really no unique YOM option for my '77 F250, so I put a 1960 plate on the front.
Yes, us poor saps in Illinois still have an antique plate with you in the car, but quite frankly I don’t even know of anyone ever puller over to check plates, registration etc. Cops couldn’t care less, they don’t even enforce speed limits here anymore.

Front plates are also the law here……….have not had a front plate in 3 years.
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I feel for you, John. They don't call it "Illin'-Noise" for nothin'. My cousin who used to live in the North Shore suburbs moved to Florida last year; how she pulled it off, I have no idea.

I have had quite a lot of run-ins with cops regarding my Texas plates. It's always the same story: They run the plate number and it comes back as belonging on a F-150 (never mind the fact that truck plates do not use the same letter-number arrangement that cars use...and mine is car-configured). I have to show them the paper every time, which trumps what their computers may say. I'm not sure if TxDoT will require me to accept a new plate now that I'm back in San-Anton for good, but I'll be prepared for it. They used to require different plates on the same vehicles every 7 years or so, and it's been at least 11 years since I got my current plates (but, all that time, I was out-of-state).

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

I have a set (front & back) of 1963 Texas plates on my '63 LCC. My car's original owner bought the car new in Texas. Since I live in NC, it's registered here and I've been issued a NC antique auto license plate. It's okay to display the year of manufacture plates as long as you have the current NC antique auto plate (and registration) handy. I keep mine in the glovebox.

I think these old plates are a good look on the car and I've never been pulled over or hassled by the police for running them.
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”