62 Lincoln Convertible LED Light conversion

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

jdeawright
Occasional Visitor

62 Lincoln Convertible LED Light conversion

Post by jdeawright »

I need help and/or advice...

I bought LED bulbs to brighten up the dash. I was able to swap out most of the bulbs and some of them did not work. I Even pulled the radio and replaced the flasher relay. That fixed the outside blinkers, however, the blinker above speedo still don't work. Also, the LED I replaced in the radio does not work. I think I may have a grounding problem.

Lastly, how do you remove the bulbs just behind speedo and the Battery/Temp gauges. Access is difficult. I would like to get all the lights installed while I have somewhat pulled apart.

Has anyone had these issues and advice on what I possibly do to get all of the new LED lights installed and working properly

Lastly, I am going with new alternator (220V) to eleviate my charging issues. Will this also help with the LEDs?

Thanks!
Attachments
After pulling the cover off I could not squeeze my fingers in to grad and twist the bulbs
After pulling the cover off I could not squeeze my fingers in to grad and twist the bulbs
This was straight forward except for two lights behind speedo. I unscrewed a few screws and nothing moved and I lost my courage.
This was straight forward except for two lights behind speedo. I unscrewed a few screws and nothing moved and I lost my courage.
New blinker relay with ground wire worked great for the outside lights but blinkers in the dash still don't work
New blinker relay with ground wire worked great for the outside lights but blinkers in the dash still don't work
Replaced the bulb shown with a LED and it did not work. The old bulb worked fine along with the radio.
Replaced the bulb shown with a LED and it did not work. The old bulb worked fine along with the radio.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 62 Lincoln Convertible LED Light conversion

Post by Lee »

For the center panel, you have to pull out the speedo a few inches to get to all the bulbs. You’ll need to pull (gently) because the cable is still attached. You may need to assist with your other hand behind the cluster.

There is a screw at the bottom of the left cluster that releases it (it is “hooked” at the top), similar to the clock side, and then you you can remove the four screws that hold the gages, and then access the bulbs.

Don’t know why the radio light doesn’t work, but could be a bad bulb. Did you buy specifically dimmable bulbs? There are at least two and maybe three different brightnesses of incandescent bulbs for the dash, so if you are replacing with a single LED part number, you probably won’t get even illumination across all panels.

If you think this is a treat, wait until you try to replace the bulbs in the lower left cluster.

Not sure what you mean by a 220v (or 221, whatever it takes) alternator, but I don’t think that will help with the LED’s.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”