Broke down - thoughts on temperature

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Broke down - thoughts on temperature

Post by TonyC »

Bob, I can't see how a locking cap can be a pain to use. You can swap in a non-lock if you wish; never toss the lock version, unless it's clearly unusable. If it's still otherwise usable, however inconvenient, stash it in a safe spot. The inconvenience of getting it off will be worth it one day, when you are in a place where you'd need to worry. In CT, places like that are not far off.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Broke down - thoughts on temperature

Post by Lee »

BobCT wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:29 am Lee, I ordered the Pertronix 1….
It will work OK, but one big thing to watch for: you never want to leave the ignition on with the engine not running. The output transistors will overheat in a continuous coil charge. And you can’t run a hot (meaning: low primary resistance) coil with it.

I currently run the 3, and it’s pretty slick. It only charges to the coil saturation point (“adaptive dwell”), does not need a magnet ring (it senses the cam lobe peaks) and is capable of multiple spark. And you can run an extremely hot coil with it (as low as 0.32 ohms).
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)