Cleaning exterior and interior on a '82 Mark VI

Post your cleaning and detailing techniques, questions, product recommendations, etc. in this sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

DaSkeeT
Occasional Visitor

Cleaning exterior and interior on a '82 Mark VI

Post by DaSkeeT »

Hello, am new here and what a wonderful forum this is!
I have some quick questions if y'all don't mind, have searched through and found a bunch of different options; so want to be sure I'm doing/using the correct products.
This is my first classic car, so am ecstatic to get going.
Any pointers/recommendations/etc, please let me know!
FYI: I am storing this in my fully locked garage, with a legit car cover for it as well.

EXTERIOR
For cleaning the exterior, I've read to not use water at all.
Obviously I'm only taking this beautiful car out during a nice clear day (no possibility of rain), so assume that no water shall touch this vehicle.
I've seen water-less cleaning products, but wasn't sure which are legit or not.
Definitely not trying to test out random products, so reaching out to see what everyone uses on their own classics.
I assume this will go for the entire exterior, including the bumpers/rims/etc?

INTERIOR
For cleaning the interior, I was told to use leather conditioner on the tab leather seats.
For my truck's leather interior, I use 'Meguiar's® Gold Class™ Rich Leather Spray'.
Assume that will be fine for the Lincoln?
For cleaning the interior's plastic/vinyl/rubber/etc, I was thinking of using 'Meguiar's® Ultimate Protectant' (currently use this on my truck's interior).
Are there any other products to recommend, and any other parts of the vehicle that I should use something else/etc?

I understand that this is a lot to start off with, but am trying to get my feet set for the future with this classic car.
Have always kept very good care of my previous vehicles, and my current Tundra is basically in tip-top shape.
The only thing I have left to do for now, is find a classic car dealership/auto shop to take the Lincoln in for general maintenance.
Any questions/etc, please let me know!
Appreciate the assistance and am excited to get going!
Cheers.
Last edited by DaSkeeT on Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI
4-Door Sedan
60K miles, all original
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Cleaning exterior and interior on a '82 Mark VI

Post by Lee »

DaSkeeT wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:14 pm The only thing I have left to do for now, is find a classic car dealership/auto shop to take the Lincoln in for general maintenance.
Welcome to the forum! That may require some research. I think you'll find that these years are a little too old for most dealerships, yet too new for many traditional restoration shops.

In light of that, you may want or need to consider doing some maintenance and repairs yourself. This has the short lived EEC-III control system, and even if it is running well today, with regular use, there will come the day it won't. If I were you, I'd be snapping up some of the specific factory diagnostic tools, like the Rotunda STAR readers and breakout boxes (just make sure you get the one specifically for fuel injection, not the feedback carburetor, assuming it still has the original equipment). The dealers have no more use for them, and they often show up on eBay, etc, and prices are not outrageous yet. Even if you don't want to use them, a good mechanic may appreciate having those things.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

I've never bought into the no water thing for cleaning.
Think about how often it would have seen water over the years. A bit of it for cleaning won't hurt anything.

You are going to get a lot of mixed comments on what products to use. Especially when it comes to leather and vinyl I always check reviews to see if there are any legitimate issues with any of them. Some can damage the finish or cause other problems. Ever see the top surface of colored leather start to peel?
Non silicone dressing is the best thing to use on vinyl. Can be hard to find.

Classic car places are usually hard to find and over priced. You need to find a small independent shop that's been in business for a while and has staff that are familiar with older cars. It's not actually too hard to find places familiar with 80s cars because thats what a lot of those guys used to know and drive. Thd older stuff is worse.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
DaSkeeT
Occasional Visitor

Post by DaSkeeT »

Lee wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:35 pm
DaSkeeT wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:14 pm The only thing I have left to do for now, is find a classic car dealership/auto shop to take the Lincoln in for general maintenance.
Welcome to the forum! That may require some research. I think you'll find that these years are a little too old for most dealerships, yet too new for many traditional restoration shops.

In light of that, you may want or need to consider doing some maintenance and repairs yourself. This has the short lived EEC-III control system, and even if it is running well today, with regular use, there will come the day it won't. If I were you, I'd be snapping up some of the specific factory diagnostic tools, like the Rotunda STAR readers and breakout boxes (just make sure you get the one specifically for fuel injection, not the feedback carburetor, assuming it still has the original equipment). The dealers have no more use for them, and they often show up on eBay, etc, and prices are not outrageous yet. Even if you don't want to use them, a good mechanic may appreciate having those things.
Sounds good, def want to learn about this car and try to do most of the maintenance myself. Will check out the tools recommended and go from there, still going to explore for an auto shop as a backup. Appreciate the helpful reply, cheers!
4-Door Sedan
60K miles, all original
DaSkeeT
Occasional Visitor

Post by DaSkeeT »

Mike wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:02 am I've never bought into the no water thing for cleaning.
Think about how often it would have seen water over the years. A bit of it for cleaning won't hurt anything.

You are going to get a lot of mixed comments on what products to use. Especially when it comes to leather and vinyl I always check reviews to see if there are any legitimate issues with any of them. Some can damage the finish or cause other problems. Ever see the top surface of colored leather start to peel?
Non silicone dressing is the best thing to use on vinyl. Can be hard to find.

Classic car places are usually hard to find and over priced. You need to find a small independent shop that's been in business for a while and has staff that are familiar with older cars. It's not actually too hard to find places familiar with 80s cars because thats what a lot of those guys used to know and drive. Thd older stuff is worse.
Gotcha, didn't think washing it with water was a HUGE deal but am making sure. Will prob wash do with water, but still need to research a correct waxing
job. Def keeping this beauty in tip-top shape, showroom quality!

Will be researching products for the leather and plastic/vinyl/etc, appreciate the reply!
4-Door Sedan
60K miles, all original
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

I have tried the waterless wash products and have found that they do not do as good a job as a good hand wash and a slightly better job of cleaning the car than a good detail spray.

You seem to like Meguiers products, so you might consider staying with them. I use the professional series on my 2 cars. The fine cut cleaner is good for an oxidized finish, followed by yellow wax, but the cleaner wax is good for a finish that is in good condition. I have been using Show Car glaze on my cars every couple of years for a deeper shine and I tried the Ceramic Spray wax to maintain the shine. I am satisfied that it works very well and have not had to do anything except wash the car and spray the Ceramic Wax to keep it clean and shiny. I use these products on my modern cars as well.

Other products like Mother's, Girot and Jay Leno's seem to give similar results.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I hose the old 63 down and use car wash that comes in a gallon. When the wheels and tires get nasty, I use the awfulest stuff I can find and Bleche white on the tires. The old girl will certainly out last me. Wayne
DaSkeeT
Occasional Visitor

Post by DaSkeeT »

tomo wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:15 pm I have tried the waterless wash products and have found that they do not do as good a job as a good hand wash and a slightly better job of cleaning the car than a good detail spray.

You seem to like Meguiers products, so you might consider staying with them. I use the professional series on my 2 cars. The fine cut cleaner is good for an oxidized finish, followed by yellow wax, but the cleaner wax is good for a finish that is in good condition. I have been using Show Car glaze on my cars every couple of years for a deeper shine and I tried the Ceramic Spray wax to maintain the shine. I am satisfied that it works very well and have not had to do anything except wash the car and spray the Ceramic Wax to keep it clean and shiny. I use these products on my modern cars as well.

Other products like Mother's, Girot and Jay Leno's seem to give similar results.
Gotcha, this is exactly what I needed to hear. Will be doing this and sticking with Meguiers, as I've used them for years on my truck and love em.
Appreciate the detailed reply, cheers!
4-Door Sedan
60K miles, all original
DaSkeeT
Occasional Visitor

Post by DaSkeeT »

papawayne wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:16 am I hose the old 63 down and use car wash that comes in a gallon. When the wheels and tires get nasty, I use the awfulest stuff I can find and Bleche white on the tires. The old girl will certainly out last me. Wayne
Perfect, words to my ears haha. Am going to be careful washing with water, just in case!
Thanks for the reply, cheers!
4-Door Sedan
60K miles, all original