1964 wheel stud and wheel replacement?

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

MattSWE

1964 wheel stud and wheel replacement?

Post by MattSWE »

Currently have 3 wheel studs/ nuts that just spin and will not tighten anymore. Would like to replace them but not able to find the exact one.

Google shows 1\2 x20 but not sure of other data.

Also, how expensive are the stock 15" steel wheels for this car.? I have hubcaps that id like to back to with whitewalls at some point. Rims came with the car but not a fan of them.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1964 wheel stud and wheel replacement?

Post by Lee »

A good local parts store should be able to help you out, but if not, Lincoln Land will.
https://lincolnlandinc.com/product-cate ... -bolts-bn/
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Or Mark II Enterprises; that was my go-to source, thru their E-Bay store, for new lug studs when I needed them last year. Of course, if others offer them, compare prices and go with the best deal. The Google dimensions are correct at 1/2" diameter and 20-pitch. For lug nuts I sourced them locally, thru O'Reilly; with those dimensions known, they can match up the right part number for nuts.

As for stock wheels themselves, I can't really harbor a guess, other than it depends on the seller. If you have a vintage junkyard in your area, I'd recommend checking it first, see what deal they can offer. I don't blame you for wanting to go back to stock; this wagon-wheel fad has gone on for too bloody-hell long, and I maintain that nobody has ever thought of load ratings for those goofy wheels. Sure, on a 2,800-lb. Nye-San load ratings are not really a concern. But on a massive gravity generator like a clap-door Lincoln, that weighs in at 5,300 lbs. dry, load ratings for wheels and tires are critical. At least the stock wheels are already established to bear that load. Plus, they look better.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

On my ‘63, I wanted to change from the stock 14” rims to 15” rims so that I had better tire choices. I bought my 15” rims from Lincoln Land that came off a 64/‘65. I had them sent out to be media blasted and powder coated. Don’t remember what I paid but Lincoln Land had everything I needed.
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Lots of sellers will try to sell whatever they have with that bolt pattern, only correct Lincoln rims will accept your hubcaps. Learn what they look like, or take a hubcap with you to test, or buy from a knowledgeable Lincoln vendor.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

To add to what Fraser said, Lincoln wheels are also piloted for the hub, and don't rely on the lugs for centering and support, like many other makes.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I used these on my '63 sedan. Pressed in perfectly. Note: these are longer than factory length, due to the non stock wheels I am using.

stud Dorman brand- 1/2-20 x 2.25" long with a .619 knurl

hub centric rings- 78mm OD x 72mm ID (ID is stock, but OD will be whatever wheel you are using)
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”