1962 Lincoln video that appeared on my Facebook

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

rick
Lincoln Maniac

1962 Lincoln video that appeared on my Facebook

Post by rick »

Well, I watched 4 minutes of this 20 minute Youtube video and decided to post it in case someone wants some "Bought Unseen" entertainment.

I'm not being critical because I've bought five cars "sight unseen" over the years of which four were success stories. But a guy with an 1965 MGB did indeed rip me off. Meatloaf sang two out of three ain't bad so I guess I can't be complaining about four out of five. :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMp1jDdHNjI
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1962 Lincoln video that appeared on my Facebook

Post by Lee »

Kreskin foresees an LS swap, bags, and funny-looking wheels in this car's future. Being a convertible, it may escape the obligatory sub array.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

This is why I H8 newbies-with-'verts. They may know about commonplace cars, which means they know more than average newbies-with-'verts; but they are babes-in-woods where Lincolns are concerned; their excited use of that over-clichéd phrase "suicide doors" is proof of that. I'm willing to lay a month's pension down, with Vegas odds, that they are not even aware that car does not have a separate frame; people like that should not be allowed to have these cars, no matter how rich their aunt might be. If they do rape this car and try turning it into something absolutely ridiculous, its value will drop far below what it's worth now (I'd say they got a great deal with $20g's, that car looks easily worth $30g's as-is...well, minus the wagon-wheels, of course).

I'm not sure how the democracy will respond to their request for input, but you know I'd demand they keep the original condition, no ridiculous drivetrain mods, etc. And if they disregarded that advice as most people do with any advice coming from me, that car wouldn't be worth any more than Frankenstein's original purchase price. I don't care if they put in $50g's into replacing the whole drivetrain and another 100k's into everything else; they wouldn't get more than a dimebag from me. Keep it OE, however, the only mods being to engineer out the design flaws, what few there were that year; then we can talk about me smuggling kilos of whatever merchandise they choose, to pay for the car. On the other hand, it's no mystery that '62 isn't my top-choice year; '67 is. But, as I said, that car as-is is worth quite a load of merchandise.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Tony - some therapy night be helpful.
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Hopefully they respect that suicide door car and don't do anything obnoxious with it. It looks like a good starting point.
I prefer getting a car in that shape paint wise then one that's already been done that you have no idea what's hiding underneath.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

I imagine if I'd been an old fart in 1962, I'd have been griping about John Milner ruining a perfectly good 1932 Ford with a small block Chevy, chrome reverse wheels, and dropped axle. :roll:
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

It likely would, Mark, but there is only one specific therapy that will help me. Since it's already been made known, I don't see a need to reiterate it. Usually I try to hold back on newbies-with-'verts because of the lack of appropriate therapy, but some of the things I saw in that video just triggered me. I H8 even off-hand talk about tricking these cars out into nightmarish eyesores that make '50s cars look conservative. To me, mods should be limited to making better what's already there, not turning what's there into something else entirely.

Well, to Lee's point, so would I; a Chevy engine in a Ford?? That's heresy. Chevy enthusiasts would say exactly the same for vice-versa. At least the Model A in "that" song was modded with a Lincoln engine.

---Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Plus he's be complaining about that darn DJ Wolfman Jack monopolizing the air waves.

Oddly enough growing up here in Ontario we did not see many early sixties Lincolns. In '61 my Dad did buy his only new car, a pink (summer rose) 61 Ford Fairlane 500 with three-on-the-tree and a six cylinder engine. In 1966 I was pretty glad to welcome into the family a 283 powered 1965 blue Chevy Impala. My Dad's first Automatic and with power steering too.

Thirty-six miles tonight in the Continental just cruising with the windows down.......... priceless
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

That video demonstrates why you never run a car on old gas. They tried to blow the cobwebs out, without doing any service whatsoever, except a fresh battery, and have bent the pushrods until it quit.
It's a shame to see such a nicely preserved car fall into the hands of those clowns.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Dittos :smt011 ! That's why I feel that 'verts of these cars need to go only to those who know these cars specifically. But, that's just me... :roll:

However, if my guess is right, that engine is now only comatose, not dead. Anything that engine needs can be had, and many of those anythings will likely make it an even better-running engine than it was (E.G., adjustable pushrods). But if they want to do the clichéd (and far more costly than they likely can imagine) LS conversion and all the structural chopping involved, then they need the Will-Smith Treatment.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Lee wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:14 pm I imagine if I'd been an old fart in 1962, I'd have been griping about John Milner ruining a perfectly good 1932 Ford with a small block Chevy, chrome reverse wheels, and dropped axle. :roll:
Don't forget about Falfa and his straight axle, big block, 9", tilt glass front end 55 chevy! Luckily nobody realized the big block chevy wasn't released until 64 so obviously Falfa was a time traveler disguised in a cowboy hat.
1955-chevy-american-graffiti-blacktop.jpg
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

He must have had one of them “Mystery Motors” :lol:
That movie made a big impression on me when it came out, and I just knew I had to have the fastest car on our local cruising strip. I never did, but it taught me a lot of lessons about cars, and working hard to achieve something.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Growing up in a town of 10,000 people, you can imagine the impression that movie made on me. One twist on American Graffiti was the fact that the cops in my town in 1964 somehow got their hands on a brown 1949 Hudson (very similar to the Pharaohs although not customized) and they thought it made a perfect undercover car. Of course, we all knew it.
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”