1977 Towncar Door Ajar Light On Dash Staying On

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

bbmyster1
Occasional Visitor

1977 Towncar Door Ajar Light On Dash Staying On

Post by bbmyster1 »

Hi Guys ,

I have a 1977 Towncar that has an issue with the Door Ajar Light on the Dash remaining on while the car is running and the doors are closed . I have checked all the Door Plungers and when manually pressing them in , the Interior Lights all go out but the Dash Light remains On ?... Any suggestions as to what I might go looking for ?. I'm not sure if their are any other Wires perhaps inside the doors that control the light on the dash or if it is just the Plungers themselves .. Hope someone can be of some assistance and or guidance.

Thanks In Advance !!

Regards ,

Brian.
Brian McCallen . Kelowna B.C. Western Canada . 1977 Lincoln Town Car , 1990 Lincoln Town Car
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: 1977 Towncar Door Ajar Light On Dash Staying On

Post by John Mc »

Brian, do you have a 1977 Shop Manual? If so, check the wiring diagram or troubleshooting diagram on the dash lights.
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
bbmyster1
Occasional Visitor

Post by bbmyster1 »

Hi John ,

I don't have a Manual for the car yet , I just purchased one but will have to wait for it to arrive . I just picked this car up and was not made aware of the light remaining on . I'll delve further into the Door Plungers , perhaps a loose wire or what have you could be the culprit . When the Manual arrives I will go through it and see if I can't find the underlying issue . Thanks !!!

Brian.
Brian McCallen . Kelowna B.C. Western Canada . 1977 Lincoln Town Car , 1990 Lincoln Town Car
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

I'm not 100% sure on this for a 77, but you might check to see if there are any switches integrated with the door latches. In some cars, the plungers don't trigger the door ajar light because even when the door is closed but not latched, the plungers are still depressed. Sometimes the latch itself must be fully closed and latched for the light to go out. Problem is, I don't know if that's the way Ford did it on the 77 Towncar. I have seen that commonly on mid 70s GMs.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

I'll bet that the shop manual will point you in the right direction. There could be a relay in the circuit too. Good luck and when you find out what it was, please share with the class.
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Does the shop manual have schematics? I don't think so.

You need the schematics. I have them. They are available through the forum for $20 if you want the whole set (plug).

According to the schematics, ONLY the four door jamb switches can ground the DOOR OPEN WARNING INDICATOR.
Door_Open_77.png
If it is an LED, then a high resistance may turn it on meaning ONE of the four switches is actually failing.

I suggest you pull each and every door jamb switch and DISCONNECT it (one by one) and then check if the indicator goes out. If it does, replace that switch (or clean it, etc.).
bbmyster1
Occasional Visitor

Post by bbmyster1 »

Thanks for the Info Dan , I will check all of them. Right now it is being Inspected by the Mechanics for Everything as it needs to Pass here in British Columbia in order to register it as it is an out of province vehicle .( Ontario ) . Pretty sure I have some work to do...lol..I'll keep the Class posted .

Brian.
JAR76

Post by JAR76 »

As far as I can tell by researching this topic, the 1977 latches do have an integrated wire that completes a circuit to the warning light on the dash independent of the dome light plunger. I have heard that if you spray WD 40 into the latch, then open and close the door a few times to lubricate the switch, it may solve your problem.
You can see this if you go to Ebay and search for 1977 Lincoln Continental door latches.
Here is a link.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185761519573?h ... BM8tO4k9dh
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I concur with Steve and Joey. It's very possible the warning circuit has switches integrated into the latches, independent of the jamb plungers that turn on the interior lights. That would make sense to me, as the electric trunk releases Ford developed had integrated solenoids in the latch. Plus, the '60s cars had grounding springs that acted as switches for the warning light on the dash (and with 4-door models, that same switch grounded the interior lights when the rear door was opened; both circuits were routed through a single dual-purpose relay). Maybe a latch or more than one latch is gummed up and sticking the switch contact in its closed position. It will likely be necessary to remove the latch and examine it closely if spraying it first with brake-cleaning spray and then with white-grease spray doesn't cure the problem. Try the spray maneuver first with the latches, all of them; if that doesn't do it, then remove each latch one at a time and examine more closely. Start with the driver's door when you start your diagnosis.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I doubt bbmyster1 will ever see your replies. He hasn't been back since 14 Aug 2018 14:08.
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Ha Ha, this is all pretty funny.

I read along with interest following this line of conversation and never checked the date either. Where is PapaWayne when you need him??

Joey, you were delving pretty deep into the secret files of the Lincoln Forum. :)

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The OP may never see it, but someone with the Same problem might and it may save them some grief.

I welcome old post replies.
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

True
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Ahh, papawayne...he has fallen down and gone boom and has gotten a concussion that prohibits him from reading with comprehension. It prohibited him from doing almost anything at first. Sheer stupidity and age is how it happened. I was just going along the driveway at full pace and down I went. My wife took me to the hospital. I'll write when I can be trusted again.
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Get Well, Wayne!!
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”