‘62 Strut Bushings / Rare Parts

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

‘62 Strut Bushings / Rare Parts

Post by Lee »

Interesting observation: about 25 years ago, I had replaced these with a set of Moog bushings, sourced through NAPA. Last week while the car was on the lift, I noticed that one of the four had failed. Of course, these were designed to be compliant, so I started searching for the rubber style, rather than now-common hard urethane substitutes.

I quickly learned that is easier said than done in 2023, unless you want to pay the 2x price for a set from Rare Parts. My last hope was NAPA online still listing them available under P/N PCC HB1024, but the next day, the order was cancelled as not being available. So Rare Parts it was. Incidentally, the best price I found was on Amazon.

As I was comparing these with the old bushings, I noticed that the ID markings were identical to the set I had earlier installed (see 2nd pic). In fact, the female bushings even had the same pink swipe of ink that must have been used for some purpose at the manufacturing plant. The included washers and nuts were also identical. My calibrated thumbnail suggests that the durometer is also the same. These are marked “Harris” bushings, which seem to now be mainly split bushings devoted to leaf spring mounts. For all I know, that is who Moog was sourcing them from.

Anyway, I don’t know much about Rare Parts, but I have to assume that they are either 1) selling new old stock purchased from Moog (or Harris), 2) still purchasing private-label through Moog, or 3) have purchased the tooling from Moog, and building themselves. I think the latter is unlikely, because there’s a lot more to producing molded rubber parts than the tooling, and I wouldn’t expect them to still use the same pink paint swipe for any reason.

Anyway, as you might imagine, they were an easy drop-in replacement, and there was no change to the caster or toe.
Attachments
E850D25D-9075-4B1E-ABCE-011F88306A8E.jpeg
59C8B682-562D-4742-8D41-2C95D64DAAE3.jpeg
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: ‘62 Strut Bushings / Rare Parts

Post by TonyC »

25 years...?? That's a pretty good amount of time between changes. I had to do mine about 5 months ago; when I removed one of my strut rods to install a new-old bumper on it, to my shock the forward bracket was flopping around in its place...yet the bushings on that rod did not look visibly worn out or damaged, and the nut on the end was still properly torqued! I have no idea how that could have happened, how the bushings on that rod just shrank...but, I replaced them. I just went to E-Bay and bought the first set of compatible bushings, which was actually an easy search. They don't look like the original-original bushings, but they are an exact fit and keep the car stable, which is all that matters to me. Below are shots of what I went with

---Tony
Attachments
Strut Rod Bushings, View 1
Strut Rod Bushings, View 1
Strut Rod Bushings, View 2
Strut Rod Bushings, View 2
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I bought the same ones as Tony, only black. 30 bucks Canadian at rock. Maybe they will be too harsh, but the worn out ones weren't harsh enough!
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

That's for sure! I couldn't believe how loose the bracket was when I pulled that one strut rod off to replace the bumper! I was even more confused when I checked the torque of the nut, and it was still at spec. The other rod bracket still felt tight, so I have no idea how that one got so sloppy.

But, that's academic now. I do have to say, the front does feel a little harsher on bumps and dips, but it also feels more sturdy on the road. But these bushings are black as well, not red as depicted on the box.

---Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

I’ve never tried poly, but I bet I’d have trouble telling the difference.

Over on the Mustang forums, there is a similar debate; there seems to be more than a few instances (but remembering that correlation is not always causation!) where running hard bushings resulted in broken strut rods. The general theory being “if you eliminate the flex the suspension was designed for, then something else must flex, probably something that wasn’t designed to flex”. In the case of our Lincolns, I’d have trouble believing it could break one of those massive rods, but perhaps a weld on one of the front brackets…that seems more plausible.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I had to change the strut bushings on my 77 because rust corroded the shaft ODs so much, even new bushings would allow play.

I had the struts welded and turned back to their proper OD.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Back in the '80s, I put poly C bushings on my '68 Bronco, made a huge difference, really tightened that thing up, But it really wasn't built for comfort like a Lincoln!
I have lots of spare Lincoln strut rods, If anyone breaks one of those things, I'll give you one! But you have to post the broken one here!
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

That's very good to know, just in case that happens to somebody...like me, for instance (I don't hold it beyond me to get clumsy enough to do that). I've never wrecked a strut rod before and hope that never happens; but I have bent the Hell out of a tie rod before. That was embarrassing. Though the car was disabled for about a week, thankfully I learned that the tie rods were identical on the '65 cars (grabbed a replacement from a '65 organ donor to fix that).

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

I suppose as long as we’re on this topic, it is a real challenge to get the front male bushing to fit into the rear bushing (at least with the neoprene rubber type), because it’s already a tight fit, and your fingers have limited space to work within the mounting bracket, so you can get the big nut started. I highly recommend using a rubber lubricant. Works great for sliding the bushings over the spacers as well.
Attachments
B6F38E83-0E91-46DA-A974-2A1B5DF42184.jpeg
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I hope you are happy with the polyurethane bushings. I sure wasn’t on my ‘67 sedan. It rode so poorly with the poly strut bar bushings. Feel every bump in the road. A very jarring experience that made the whole car rattle and move. Switched back to the original style rubber bushings and it was a night and day difference.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

That, admittedly, is something I do feel on the local roads. Maybe when the time comes again to replace, I'll go back to the rubber ones, if I find a set. Right now it's a minor irritant I can live with. The handling does feel less Kenworth-like, even though the ride is less Lincoln-like.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I am aware of the possible harshness, but on the Lincoln they are not hard to change if I'm unhappy. When I ordered them, that was all Rock auto had, but I see they now have rubber ones again.
I was ordering radius rod bushings for my truck and T Bird, and thought "what the hell, order these ones too". Really happy with the poly radius rod bushings on my Diesel F250, but again, it's not really supposed to be comfortable.
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

That I think was a lucky fix, Dan, and I'm glad you could fix it. If memory serves, I have noticed a difference in size of the strut rods between the '60s and '70s cars, the latter being thinner than the former. In my case, the rust was surface, enough to make the bolts and nuts and bushing sleeves harder to remove, but not enough to eat into the rods themselves. In my last bushing change, I used anti-seize paste the auto-skill center has for patrons to use, to prevent any future seizures (admittedly even "stole" a bit of it, filling a plastic sauce cup with some of that stuff...not a lot taken, but more than enough for me to use wherever and whenever).

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The car drove great after the fix.

...then I sold it.

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”