current price range of 1961-1963 Lincoln Continental- sedans and verts

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

current price range of 1961-1963 Lincoln Continental- sedans and verts

Post by Suicidekid63 »

It seems as of these past few years, that prices of 61-63 slabsides has increased drastically. Also, there are barely any for sale online, either. Ebay has nothing anymore. Any I see on other sites seem to be asking a hefty sum. Are they being purchased for these prices or is it just seller inflation?
Alot of them also have issues that are costly repairs to the unknowing buyer, but still fetch high selling prices.
I'm not looking to sell, but just wanting a guestimate of value of my 1963 original sedan. Gave $10000 in 2009.
Factory A/C, speed control, AM FM radio. All power options work. (e.g- windows, A/C, antenna, seats, locks, etc.) Runs, starts, stops great. Also have much provenance given to me from original purchasing owner.
I had it insured for $15000 since 2009, but may want to re-evaluate that. Seems a little low compared to today's values. I'm thinking $20K+ IDK?
Attachments
AAlinc.jpg
63 bay.jpg
AAlinc5.jpg
Last edited by Suicidekid63 on Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: current price range of 1961-1963 Lincoln Continental- sedans and verts

Post by mge825y »

Steven - I'm insured through Hagerty and they have been helpful to determine the insured value of my '63. Of course the market value could be higher.

On another note, today is my car's 60th birthday! :dance:
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

mge825y wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:31 am Steven - I'm insured through Hagerty and they have been helpful to determine the insured value of my '63. Of course the market value could be higher.

On another note, today is my car's 60th birthday! :dance:
I know you have a vert, but do you mind my asking what is insured value?
Happy Birthday! BTW
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Have to consider replacement availability in the current market. If you had a total loss and wanted to buy another exactly like it, how much would it take? My guess is $15k wouldn't do it. With that said, there seems to be a strange cult like following with the 61-63 models, which is probably driving the values to unrealistic levels. I frankly don't understand it because I think the 64 and later are such better cars. Seems that there is this echo chamber where everyone is chanting "early years". I don't get it. My opinion, worth price charged.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Im guessing a lot of people are like me and just prefer the way the 61-63 cars look.
I still need to figure out upping the insurance value too especially since so many cars have gone up in value in the last little while.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Part of it has to be the historical status of the first three years. That was the design that took the industry by storm, making it change the way cars looked after the '50s. It also influenced the others into new maintenance and production practices. It was a trend-setter. That status alone will make them command Krugerrands.

My personal preference? '66/7. But, that's my own preference.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Hey, I know where that picture was taken!!
Attachments
Lincoln Dealership, Conroy, MO.JPG
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

You know, Stu, your car looks small when compared to that Impala in the background. That actually doesn't surprise me. I have a picture of Frankenstein parallel-parked between two newer cars, one of them a Mustang; and he looks so small in the picture compared to the other two cars, despite the same line they are on. Yet, we both know our cars are anything but small, especially where the mass is concerned.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Suicidekid63, I have Hagerty myself and they have a nice price valuation guide built into their site (not sure if you can get to it without being a client so I have a screenshot below of what I saw today. The cars have definitely went up over the past several years. Prices On Da Rise as we say at Lincoln Addict Podcast!

Not signed in
Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 7.24.31 AM.png
Signed in
Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 7.24.54 AM.png

I also use their tool when I'm doing Bring A Trailer or eBay listing reviews on my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC46SrZ ... 2lGJBcvf1w
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Looks like I need to go way up... like double.
Wow!
Thanks for all the info, everyone.
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

Jason, it would be interesting to see the values for convertibles too. Also to compare 61-63 to 64-65 and then 66-67 and 68-69 model years. I imagine they would be somewhat close between the various years.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Suicidekid63 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:05 pm Looks like I need to go way up... like double.
Wow!
Thanks for all the info, everyone.
Yes. I have my non vert, non-even the same decade 72 insured for 25k. Between rarity for replacement (mostly to avoid totalling out the car for something minor or cosmetic) and inflation valuation will go up.

BUT, I have noticed some cars go down hard. Tri-fives are starting to come down in price, and pre-war cars, and Model Ts even more! I just saw a gorgeous roadster T, unmodified for 13k.
Alex
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

The prices of T era cars have been going down for a while. They say it's because the older generation who was into them are no longer able to deal with them or passing on.
The late 50s and 60s is more where the modern cars started so it'll be interesting to see what happens to them down the road.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Yeah, I agree with Mike. At least where we are located here in Ontario, that's the case.

Probably the same everywhere, but I have no proof.

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

This is a bit off topic, but I wonder if the rise in prices of antique cars isn't related to the rise in prices of used cars in general. Why spend nearly 20 grand to get a reasonably good used car when you can spend a little less to get a really good, running, lovingly maintained antique? It wasn't that long ago that really pretty Mark Vs were going for around 10 grand. Wayne

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”