1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan on BAT(bringatrailer)

This area is for members to post Lincoln-related automotive items for sale or trade (help the buyer find you!). Auction links are allowed. Dealers in automotive parts are discouraged from using this free bulletin board to advertise their "for profit" sales. Personal sales are encouraged to help Lincoln owners fix their cars. Please post to your message if the item has been sold. All posts over 90 days old will be deleted.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan on BAT(bringatrailer)

Postby c0v3rr1d3 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:21 am

I have my 1964 Lincoln sedan up on bring-a-trailer currently. Happy to answer any questions there or here on the board.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964- ... inental-6/

Thanks,
Michael
www.wrenchandhammer.com
FB @whrestoration
IG @whrestorations
c0v3rr1d3
Frequent Contributor

Re: 1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan on BAT(bringatrailer)

Postby bd94s10 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:57 pm

Congrats on the sale. How was it using BAT website? Seems like the place to sell these days!!! Were you sad to see the car go?
bd94s10
Dedicated Enthusiast

Postby bd94s10 » Thu May 12, 2022 4:06 pm

So I started doing reviews of eBay listings (60s Lincolns only so far) to talk about what people should look for on these cars. I also like to point out how good some listings are (like this one) which includes detailed pics and write-up. I ended up doing a review on your listing for Bring A Trailer. I hope people enjoy these. I can knock them out fairly quickly and people are enjoying them! Great job selling this car for a solid price!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB3ZV7HhEOA&t=26s
bd94s10
Dedicated Enthusiast

Postby LithiumCobalt » Thu May 12, 2022 4:53 pm

Simply astonishing what is being paid for cars in this condition. Ten years ago or so that would have been an $8,000 car.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2007 Town Car, 2012 MKZ AWD
WANTED: 1969 sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Black '62 Vert on BAT - already at $78,062

Postby rick » Tue May 17, 2022 8:02 am

Man, big price tag bid for this car with still four days left in the auction. During the crazy period of rapid inflation (and profiteering) that we are now experiencing, our Lincolns are looking like as good a hedge as anything else.
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Postby bd94s10 » Tue May 17, 2022 11:02 am

I understand the comments. I've explained to people including friends that if you get into a nice car at a decent price more than likely you'll end up needing to do A LOT to it. Not always "everything" but generally speaking A LOT. Timing setup, de-peanut-butter window tracks, rebuild window switches, possibly replace relays, rebuild steering pump (sometimes) or at least re-seal it, cleanup engine bay (especially under battery which often leads to needing a new tray or light metal work), rebuilt amp gauge, fix interior as needed, clean fuel lines, replace or reseal gas tank, rebuild carb, update AC components as needed, brake work (or upgrade to a dual master/proportioning valve), etc. My only feedback to folks is if you buy a 10-15K car you'll end up (usually) putting a LOT into it. The big selling people with this car (in my opinion) is all the stuff is done already plus some upgrades (steering pump which I know not everyone appreciates). I've had a few friends buy cars at or around 10K (nice cars) and easily dump 10-15K in it. Actually a buddy of my bought a REALLY nice '65 that ran/drive for around 10K but he had to do a lot mechncailly since the previous 1 owner never did anything but drive it occasionally. Sure this price is still higher than say 10K + 10K or 15K combined but I can see how the presentation itself (photos and details) help this car come in at over 36,000K. Just my 2 cents. I do feel like it was a high price for a sedan but I can see someone with money buy this in a heartbeat because of how it was presented + often its a write-off for a business owner somehow someway lol.
bd94s10
Dedicated Enthusiast

Postby LithiumCobalt » Tue May 17, 2022 11:25 am

I understand what you are saying and I had to learn the hard way myself - the cheaper you go on a car the more you end up spending in the long run to get everything up to par. I paid $9k for my '67 sedan. In three short years I was north of $25k invested. It was a nice car to being with.

With that said, though, $36k for a sedan that has no service records and is not cosmetically perfect seems like A LOT of money. I do acknowledge much has been done on a mechanical level and that definitely carries value. I just can't wrap my head around $36k for the car and then another $20k for paint and chrome and polishing. $56k total investment? Just seems like a lot, especially for a sedan.

Congrats on getting a really good price on it!
Last edited by LithiumCobalt on Wed May 18, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Postby Mike » Tue May 17, 2022 6:08 pm

It was worth more then 8 grand 10 years ago but I think what it sold for is pretty much tops for what it's worth now. It doesn't look like it needs much paint work but it's also a cloth interior car. It does look pretty clean.

I definitely agree with Jason's video that its nice to see that it wasn't sprayed down underneath with black undercoating. It doesn't matter how nice a car is the second I see that I loose all interest. Not only because it nakes it look like someones trying to hide something but because that stuff will make rust when it's not going over clean metal.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Mike
Lincoln Maniac

Postby bd94s10 » Tue May 17, 2022 8:32 pm

Great points Nick and Mike. No doubt. It amazes me at what these cars are going for. My buddy Tony Bolin bought a super nice gold '64 sedan. A guy came along with a lot of money and he threw a 30K number at him and the guy didn't even negotiate. The car was amazing. I have pics somewhere. It was amazing in that it was original. The interior looked like it was brand new.. felt like it to. Tony fixed a few things on it for the new buyer. Sadly the guy blew it all apart and is resto modding it. Now I'm a customize guy myself but to me.. this was too nice of a car. Tony even offered the guy a beat up car IF he was going to do a resto mod.. it was prob the first one that really pained me to see done with it what was done and I've been around custom cars since I was a teenage.. I love them.. but this wasn't the car to do it to. UGH.

Sure, he can do it.. but why tear all the amazing interior apart.. Tony was even like hey man.. I'll trade you some rough seats etc. and then you can get these done and I'll have the interior from the gold car.. Nope.. guy wouldn't do it.. UGH.
bd94s10
Dedicated Enthusiast

Postby LithiumCobalt » Wed May 18, 2022 11:42 am

I'm an original car guy myself. I just think these cars look their best when they look factory fresh. Stately, elegant, etc. I respect the desire to customize to suit each person's tastes. May not understand the choices, but those choices are not mine to make. My only gripe is that there are so few of these cars around, that it is getting increasingly difficult and EXPENSIVE to find nice original cars. So many are being customized that it really screws us original-type guys.
Nick
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

I'm an original car guy myself. I just think these cars look their best when they look factory fresh. Stately, elegant, etc. I respect the desire to customize to suit each person's tastes. May not understand the choices, but those choices are not mine to make. My only gripe is that there are so few of these cars around, that it is getting increasingly difficult and EXPENSIVE to find nice original cars. So many are being customized that it really screws us original-type guys.
Nick
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Nick
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Postby LithiumCobalt » Wed May 18, 2022 11:43 am

Damn sever errors....
Nick
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Postby bd94s10 » Mon May 23, 2022 7:54 pm

Yep.. the older I get the more I understand it. Like the car I purchased from Robert.. I told myself I'll never customize it other than the small things already done to it (custom kick panels, etc.). Some don't realize that some pretty bad cars are brought back to life via a resto mod but no doubt I understand. Ugh server errors.

Checkout my latest review... John Cashman worked on this one of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErTmUSC3-y4

Jason
bd94s10
Dedicated Enthusiast

Postby Mike » Sun May 29, 2022 1:33 am

I'm also more of a keep it original guy too but have been known to do engine swaps or upgrade to 4bbl but usually with factory type parts.
I don't like seeing good cars heavily modified but at the same time if it brings interest to the cars and helps make aftermarket parts available that the rest of us need thsts not a bad thing.
I don't mind it when a car already has issues. Better to be on the road abs modified then crushed.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Mike
Lincoln Maniac

Next

Return to For Sale