Broken Top Bracket and Other Fun

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

JCSLOCUM
Occasional Visitor

Broken Top Bracket and Other Fun

Post by JCSLOCUM »

I was working on the top of my 1966 and thought it was going to be an easy job, but noooo! When I bought the car last August, I was told that it has a bad hydraulic line to the top cylinders and that there was a new hose kit included with the car, among other parts. I started to get into replacing the hoses by pulling (very easy to do) the back seat out. What I found was a soaked area under the seat with a puddle of oil. I don't normally use kitty litter IN the car:
IMG_0570 small.jpg
A right mess was under the seat and will take some time to clean up.

I could see that the hoses looked fine but there was oil on the cylinder itself. I have never tried to put the top up. knowing that it has a leak. As I removed the cylinder on the pass side, I could see that it had marks on the OD, and once removed it was quite obvious what was leaking and that it had been tried to be repaired with JB Weld in the past.
IMG_0574 small.jpg
This wound won't be fixed with JB Weld epoxy even tho it does say weld in the name, or a bandaid.
IMG_0575 small.jpg
This damage led to some pondering and figuring how this could happen. Upon studying the mount area I begin to see that the whole mount has been torn out in the past and has had a seriously bad bodge of a repair with nuts and bolts. This pic is from the trunk side.
IMG_0576 small.jpg
Moving along to the seat side this is what I see.
IMG_0578 small.jpg
This doesn't look good!

After more inspection, I see the huge crack to the left of the mount.
IMG_0588 crop small sketched.jpg
This will require a welder to make this repair. I'm a fair welder but a very good grinder :-) My daughter is a real gearhead ( building a hot rod 911) and an excellent trained welder. When the weather gets a bit warmer and we can get this area stripped down and reinforced, I will put new cylinders in.

I wonder what caused this damage to the car body?
Jon

1966 Continental Convertible
Eastern Shore of MD
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Broken Top Bracket and Other Fun

Post by mge825y »

That JB Weld fix is a seriously bad hack. Who thinks that is a way to fix a leak in a pressurized hydraulic system?!

I'm also shaking my head at how they bolted the brackets on for the top rams.

When I got my car, I found that one of the top brackets was cracked. So, I had a welder get in there and make it right. But bolts?!

So sorry you are having to untangle this mess.
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

This is a very common problem in 60s convertibles.

Here's a recent thread: Lower top cylinder bracket broke clean off

You can see pics of my repair. I believe I did the prep and paid a shop to do the welding.
JCSLOCUM
Occasional Visitor

Post by JCSLOCUM »

Dan, I recall reading your thread a few months back now, I didn't remember it or relate to it when I saw the damage. This will now be a project to fix in our shop. My daughter has yet to see the break, but once she does, she will make a plan to weld it back up and install the bracket.

JB Weld is what folks use, when they have no clue.
Jon

1966 Continental Convertible
Eastern Shore of MD

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”