49 Cosmo Water Pump

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

swmddo
Frequent Contributor

49 Cosmo Water Pump

Post by swmddo »

I am in a real pickle now....I was all ready to attempt to start the engine on my 49 Cosmo. All fluids were in and everything seemingly tightened up. I noticed a small amount of coolant that appeared to have dripped from the water pump side of the lower radiator hose to the frame. I thought it was maybe a loose clamp, but it wasn't. Then I thought it might be one of more of the bolts that had not been torqued properly. It wasn't.

The only thing I can imagine is EITHER the housing on the water pump is cracked OR the gasket was compromised somehow when I attached the water pump. Either way I know that I will have to raise the engine about 1 1/2 inches to get the water pump on that side ABOVE the engine mount, so I can remove it. I no longer have my engine hoist, and I did not want to have to take off all of the top of the engine....I figure if I remove the the two engine mount bolts, the rear transmission bolt and loosen the exhaust manifolds, THEN figure out a way to jack the engine up with a bottle jack and support it with jack stands, I might be able to remove that troublesome water pump.

Does this even seam possible? Has anyone ever had to do such a drastic measure without have to totally disassemble the engine ? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Steve :x
"It's not a problem, it's a project"

Steve
Woodstock, GA
1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitan Town Sedan
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: 49 Cosmo Water Pump

Post by tomo »

Steve, I looked in my shop manual and you don't have to remove the transmission bolt, but you do have to remove the throttle lever bar to prevent damage. Remove both motor mount nuts. If you want me to post the shop manual instructions, I can later today or tomorrow.

Find a nice 1" or thicker board that will fit crosswise as close to the front of the oil pan as you can get the jack. Use the board to protect the pan as you jack it up just high enough to clear the motor mount studs. You will have a slight amount of wiggle room once you remove the water pump housing bolts.

Good luck.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimA »

Duplicate.
Last edited by JimA on Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimA »

Duplicate
1978 Continental Coupe
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimA »

I've used this successfully for that kind of job. Worked well.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-c ... 96524.html
1978 Continental Coupe
swmddo
Frequent Contributor

Post by swmddo »

Wow! Thanks to all. I was SURE I had responded almost a month ago, thanking Tom, but obviously something happened before it got posted. I appreciate everyone’s help, and I am truly sorry for not checking sooner!

Steve

Steve
Woodstock, GA
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

No problem, Steve. Did you get the pump replaced?
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
swmddo
Frequent Contributor

Post by swmddo »

Not yet. Been too cold to mess with. I also have the car up on some home-made wooden supports (3 rows of 2’ squares of 2x4s). I need to
get it to ground level so what I have to hold is closer for the garage floor. Then I can use some jack stands to support the 2x6 board that will be under the oil pan. Will let you know what I find out when I do.

Steve

Steve
Woodstock, GA
swmddo
Frequent Contributor

Post by swmddo »

Got it done! Appears it was a compromised gasket. Once I replaced it, I will be ready to button it up again.

Thanks again for all the help and guidance!

Steve

Steve
Woodstock, GA