462 Valve cover bolt washers

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

action
LCOC Regional Director

462 Valve cover bolt washers

Post by action »

In taking apart a 462 engine that I bought for parts, I have discovered the valve cover bolts have a washer.
My 66 does not have those washers.

I looked in the MPC and there is no reference in the Illustrations and no part number in the text.
ON all other FLM engines I have never seen washers.

Are those washers supposed to be there?

Action
Attachments
Valve cover bolt, washer and retainer cropped.JPG
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 462 Valve cover bolt washers

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Yes. The washers go under the spreaders.

They are compression limiters and are often lost when the valve cover is removed.

Here's an old thread where I mention them:
Subject: 430 Valve cover hardware
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Thanks

Action
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Yes, over the years I lost 10 of them. The two I have left I take extra care to keep around. Just for accountabilily I have one at the upper-center bolt of each valve cover. One day I'll have to hunt for replacements for the other 10.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I take that back. They are not technically compression limiters. They are spreader limiters.

Tony, have some made. Dimensions are in the links above.
Find a washer the same thickness and close enough diameter and you'll be all set.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

One of the benefits to buying a spare engine, I gain a bunch of extra parts. MELinda had all of the washers.

The half of bolts and spreaders have been sold on e-bay. The other half are listed. And I kept all of the washers.

Action
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I was unaware of those, but here is an observation. Many newer engines have such a spacer, built into the gaskets. As such, it would be part of the gasket, and not show up as a separate part in the listings.
At that time, Fel-pro and others may have "simplified" their offerings. Perhaps this is another place where Lincoln was ahead of the times.
At any rate, I still have a pail full of bolts from the long ago tear down of a seized MEL, I will see if I can find 12 washers of that size, mark them, and add them to the collection of spare parts.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, I was able to get a new set of washers (or spacers, or bushings, etc.) at the local hardware store yesterday. I used the metric dimensions Dan shared in the other thread; from what I saw, it looks like I could have gone with a lower I-D than I did; the 10-mm ones I got fitted a 3/8" stud, and it looks like the bolts themselves are 5/16" (8mm). But, they are of the right thickness (just under 2mm), and there was no problem with the outer diameter. So, one valve cover is now good. The other can wait until Friday, as I have to do a follow-up surgery to the valve lifters in the right bank—i.e., yank out the lifters there, which turned out to be for a 460 engine (another botch by RockAuto, thanks a lot!! :smt011 ), and re-install the old lifters, which I know are correct application and which were working when the engine went comatose. Too bad that the right bank is going to be a lot more tedious than the left bank was, but it's still doable. Bad news, it will probably require an overnight stay at the auto shop; good news, I should have it completed by lunchtime Saturday, barring any random show-stopping factors.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)