1963 Lincoln Upper Control Arm Bushings/shaft

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Minnesota1970!

1963 Lincoln Upper Control Arm Bushings/shaft

Post by Minnesota1970! »

Hi,
Ready to put my upper control arm back together.
Everything I've read is that the bushings need to go in with a bushing press. But I don't think I'll have enough room/clearance to install the shaft if I install the bushings first. I don't think that threading the bolts in the ends of the shafts should help install the bushings as the bushing are so tight in the arm. I can't remember in the removal process if there is enough clearance to take the shaft out while the bushings are still in the arm.
Any tricks to installing the upper arm bushings and shaft?
Jim
Attachments
63 lincoln control arm 1
63 lincoln control arm 1
63 lincoln control arm 2
63 lincoln control arm 2
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1963 Lincoln Upper Control Arm Bushings/shaft

Post by frasern »

I have not done this yet, however, I believe the shop manual shows them being pressed in one at a time, with the cross shaft in place (special Ford tool). I'm Going on memory, not near the manual at the moment. I would support the space between the bushings, to avoid bending the arms inward, or at least measure before and after.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Must have a press to do it. I paid someone to do it for me locally. Was about $50 to all of the lower and upper bushings. Make damn sure that the shaft and the arm are oriented correctly before assembly. The shaft is biased rather than uniform. And while the arm may bolt in both ways, only one way is correct.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Minnesota1970!

Post by Minnesota1970! »

Thanks all.
Looking at the shop manual one bushing goes in then the shaft and the other bushing goes in. The typical bushing press won't work as it will need to go around the shaft for the press process. Any special tools you know of to do the second bushing? Liking the idea of having a shop press them!
Jim
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Going to have to get creative. Ford had a Rotunda tool for such an operation back in the day, but good luck finding one now. Likely have to make something out of pipe.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

If not pressing them yourself, maybe have a shop which is familiar with alignment work, perhaps the one where you will be having the final alignment done.
I like the idea of cutting a 2x2 to fit tightly between the ears, outside the shaft, to use for added support during the process, but the shop may not need that, if they have the correct tool.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”