Finding the correct screws

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

UglyViking
Occasional Visitor

Finding the correct screws

Post by UglyViking »

So I'm close to wrapping up work to get the turn signal working again so I can get this beast on the road. Sadly I've ran into a bit of a problem. I've lost 2 screws in the process, and sadly the previous owner had lost a ton. I'm stuck and can't get it wrapped up until I can find some new screws.

I looked up in the MPC and found the ones I need, 380600-S and 53027-S respectively.
Screws needed from MPC
Screws needed from MPC
After searching the forum at length I wasn't able to find something to answer the specific question so I'll ask here. What is everyones process for finding the correct replacement screws? It seems like there is a combination of "going to your local hardware store" and/or AMK products. Are there others? It looks like AMK doesn't have the 380600-S screw, although they have a 380660-S (perhaps a typo in the MPC?).

I'm curious mainly to how people go about getting screws more than the specific screws here, which I just used as example. If AMK had both I'd be less curious but since they don't I'm here.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Finding the correct screws

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The 380600-S is a machine screw with a hex head and an attached washer, but you can used any screw that fits with an appropriate washer.

I want to say it’s a #8, 1” long. I don’t know the pitch, but it’s probably 24 instead of 32.

So #8-24 x 1 SEMS for that one.

I don’t know about the other one. (Update: see below)
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

You may be able to source them new if you can find them but I imagine you can get them from the usual suspects or a salvage yard that has '60's Lincoln parts cars. As Dan said any screw that works should be a suitable work around.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

53027-S is a #8 X 5/8 Phillips head Oval

AMK has this as a chrome plated stainless screw PN 83027-S45 (the S45 is the finish. S means standard or unplated steel).
UglyViking
Occasional Visitor

Post by UglyViking »

Dan Szwarc wrote:53027-S is a #8 X 5/8 Phillips head Oval

AMK has this as a chrome plated stainless screw PN 83027-S45 (the S45 is the finish. S means standard or unplated steel).
The AMK part number for a chrome version (in pack of 12) is B-11114, for a black oxide finish of the same screw it is B-11117. I wasn't able to find the part number you referenced on their site or in their catalog, did you get this number directly from them? It seems that their part numbers always start with "B-".

I feel confident in it's replacement but boy are there a ton of different screws in these cars. I think as I go through this resto I'll build a sheet that maps ford part numbers to the closest fastener available, both for my own sanity and hopefully people in the future.
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

Viking, you'd be doing everyone a grand favor by compiling a list like that! Have at it, and thanks!
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

UglyViking wrote:
Dan Szwarc wrote:53027-S is a #8 X 5/8 Phillips head Oval

The AMK part number for a chrome version (in pack of 12) is B-11114, for a black oxide finish of the same screw it is B-11117. I wasn't able to find the part number you referenced on their site or in their catalog, did you get this number directly from them? It seems that their part numbers always start with "B-".

I feel confident in its replacement but boy are there a ton of different screws in these cars. I think as I go through this resto I'll build a sheet that maps ford part numbers to the closest fastener available, both for my own sanity and hopefully people in the future.
I found the screw by using google for "53027-S". It looks like you did, too.
It led me to this PDF (which is from their downloadable catalog).
https://www.amkproducts.com/wp-content/ ... 185-BC.pdf
Page 185 (of the catalog, not PDF), says that 53027-S is on page 79. So I know they have something that crosses to it.
Here's the link to download the bulk catalog: https://www.amkproducts.com/catalogs/order/pdf-catalog/
Page 79 shows the screw and the Ford PN 53027-S45 that crosses to it.

On the main page of AMKproducts.com, put 53027-S into the search field at the top.
You'll get two hits. One of them is B-11114, a 12 pack of the screws.

Their screws are expensive, especially with $10 in shipping. I recommend using them to get sizing info, and then buying generic elsewhere, but you will find that they aren't a perfect match. Ford loved to use "small head" phillips screws on the interior for some reason, but most of the time, generics will work perfectly.

I've bought tons of fancy SEMS screws and bolts from them. They are nice. They are original. But they don't have everything.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I would say that Dan's guess of the specs is accurate.

You know where I sourced my own replacements of those screws...? Waters True Value in Junction City, which is my first go-to for any screw I need to replace. Any hardware store that sells fasteners in bulk will have at least 95% of all the screws, nuts, and bolts used by Lincoln to put these cars together. You just need to know what to look for.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
UglyViking
Occasional Visitor

Post by UglyViking »

Dan Szwarc wrote: Page 185 (of the catalog, not PDF), says that 53027-S is on page 79. So I know they have something that crosses to it.
Here's the link to download the bulk catalog: https://www.amkproducts.com/catalogs/order/pdf-catalog/
Page 79 shows the screw and the Ford PN 53027-S45 that crosses to it.
Yeah, it looks like we said the same thing. I missed the part where they listed the S45 and where you previously commented on the finish. I actually want the black oxide ones as that would match the interior better I believe. Not sure if chrome was original and the PO replaced with black? Judging by everything else done to the car that would surprise me.

I agree with your comment about price too. I think I'll likely replace the screws one can visually see with screws from AMK and the rest can be stainless off the shelf.
UglyViking
Occasional Visitor

Post by UglyViking »

TonyC wrote:I would say that Dan's guess of the specs is accurate.

You know where I sourced my own replacements of those screws...? Waters True Value in Junction City, which is my first go-to for any screw I need to replace. Any hardware store that sells fasteners in bulk will have at least 95% of all the screws, nuts, and bolts used by Lincoln to put these cars together. You just need to know what to look for.

---Tony
I was at home depot last night and wasn't very impressed with their machine screw selection, but I was also looking for the specific small head screws so hey. There is a local hardware store near me that has a great selection, I'll probably go there to try and match things in batches and create a sheet off that with links when I can find them or to specialty screws.
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

This is a nautically-oriented company but they do have a very wide range: https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/product/Fasteners
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I made a post it note to myself to never go to Home Depot or any big box store for screw hardware ever again. They don’t have shit. Ace hardware or your local equivalent is your best bet. You can usually buy one screw.
UglyViking
Occasional Visitor

Post by UglyViking »

Dan, agreed. It was Sunday so that was all that was open and I really wanted to get her on the road today. (which I did!) There is an ACE 20 mins from me in case the local hardware shop doesn't have what I need.
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

Ford published catalogs that gave the type, size and thread of bolts, screws, nuts and clips in 1966. This would be a useful catalog to find replacement fasteners.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Standard- ... 4154773965
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

tomo wrote:Ford published catalogs that gave the type, size and thread of bolts, screws, nuts and clips in 1966. This would be a useful catalog to find replacement fasteners.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Standard- ... 4154773965
How frequent was that publication?
Annually?

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”