X Plan

This public area is set aside as a courtesy for the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club and the Lincoln Motor Car Foundation for topics specifically related to the them. Inquiries can be made by non-members concerning the two organizations here. All mention and reference to the LCOC is allowed under fair-use laws. TLF.Net is not affiliated with the LCOC or LMCF in any way and the messages posted here do not reflect the views of the LCOC or TLF.Net. Members who wish to post private messages to or about the LCOC may do so in the Private LCOC Forum.

Moderator: LCOC Moderators

Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

X Plan

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

So I was gonna get a car last March when the lease on my Tesla was up. Started working with a salesman on an Escape Hybrid and found out that I could have gotten a better deal without the X plan. With COVID, I ended up not getting anything.

This year I went looking again and due to the insanity of car prices, I was able to save using the X plan. I was going to lease, but over 3 years, I would have paid over $20,000 for a $37,000 car. So, I ended up buying the car. Saved $1,600 on the price of the car plus $300 in dealer fees.

So, you really have to see what's going on.

Oh, I still hate the whole car buying bull$hit.
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: X Plan

Post by RMAENV »

Stu,

I Agree 100+%. There is nothing fun about buying a car anymore. Just bought my daughter a new Jeep Grand Cherokee. Most stressful thing I have done in years.
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

The only vehicle I have purchased new in the past thirty years is a new Grand Caravan for my business every five years. I just don't have any interest in new vehicles. Have six vehicles at the moment and the 2015 Grand Caravan has accumulated so little mileage, I'm keeping it longer this time around. One of my best friends own six dealerships and I can assure you that they make money from you in a myriad of ways that we don't even know about.

I only buy over the phone, only buy when the Zero Per Cent financing is being offered and I tell them I want NONE of their extra Up-Sell products. But I'm also just buying something like a Caravan - a well known entity. If they don't want to do the deal by phone I say goodbye and go somewhere else. When I get my hands on the offer I look it over and then phone them back and say I'd rather not pay their ($600.) "Shipping Charge." They usually disagree and I tell them, "Well, tell you what - I'll leave my offer on the table for thirty days in case something changes at the dealership in the interim."

Bottomline, I know I'm not getting the best deal. Some of you get much better deals by bargaining hard. In my case, the dealership is still making good money on the deal. But I'm willing to do it this way and take some of the pain out of sitting in the dealership and wanting to punch the Business Manager and his Scotch Guard Option or Puncture Insurance. (They've always phoned me back within a week and dropped the "Transportation" (sometimes called Freight) charge.) The whole affair is just the cost of doing business. In my family (including my 3 adult kids and their families) we call any expense relating to our vehicles "Car Wars." - a war you can't win.
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

I'm from a family who keeps cars till they die. Which usually means once they rot out and an expensive repair comes up. For daily drivers that happens somewhere around 10-12 year mark altho we have an suv that's now past 20 and we've had one other car that lasted that long too.
Between used prices being so high and all the different delays with new cars now's a bad time to buy. Altho there seems to be some decent incentives if you order and don't mind waiting a while for it to be built.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

I did everything via email at my pace. I emailed one dealer asking for the price and haggled a bit, then emailed the guy at the local dealership I used before, and asked for the X plan price (to make sure it was lower). Then, just scheduled the pick up.

Bottom line, some times the X plan is good and other times it's not. It depends on the demand for the car you want.

Return to “Public LCOC & LMCF-Related Discussion”