1964 Lincoln Cont. Conv. fuel tank

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

rich citarrella

1964 Lincoln Cont. Conv. fuel tank

Post by rich citarrella »

I have a 1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible that has been off the road for 25 years.
I'm looking for a 1964 or 1965 fuel tank for this car. Haven't been able to find one.

Does anyone know where I can find one?
Also, one contact advised that a 1966 tank could be used? can anyone confirm this>
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: 1964 Lincoln Cont. Conv. fuel tank

Post by action »

Pretty sure 64 & 65 are matching years. Anything else may not.

There is a vendor that produces the tank under a number of TS6465LN. Several retailers carry it and it is out of stock. (See link) You might reach out to a retailer and ask them if they will carry more tanks. This might be a situation where a vendor makes a batch and sells that batch. Checking demand before creating another batch. Your call or inquiry to a vendor would be feedback that demand is growing. Just a thought

https://www.autocityclassic.com/1964-19 ... -ts6465ln/

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Classiccannuk »

Planet Lincoln may have one for you, 1-905-701-6464
MMunger

Post by MMunger »

I have one I took out of my ‘65. In good shape and nothing was wrong with it, I just decided to replace everything in my fuel system. If interested PM me.
Mike Munger
Lake Tapps, WA

1965 Lincoln Continental Convertible
MMunger

Post by MMunger »

I have one I took out of my ‘65. In good shape and nothing was wrong with it, I just decided to replace everything in my fuel system. If interested PM me.
Mike Munger
Lake Tapps, WA

action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

MM,
what did you replace the system with?
Robert DeFrang
MMunger

Post by MMunger »

Fuel had been an issue since I got the car, and the gauge didn’t work. I got correct restored 3 port pump a while back and new filter, but I decided if I had to pull the tank to replace the sending unit I would just replace everything. I got a new Auto City Classic tank with sending unit, new straps and bolt. Replaced all the rubber lines and blew out the hard lines. While I had it apart I also added a small Holly electric pump in the back I wired to a small momentary switch under the dash below the column. I found that when the car sits for quite some time it would take forever to get the fuel up to the front. Now I can turn on the ignition, hold down the momentary switch for 20 seconds or so, and I don’t have to worry about cranking the starter forever and worry about burning out the solenoid. Had the carb rebuilt, and it runs really good now, but if it sits a couple days I still have to use the electric pump. The bowls must be draining. That’s one of the next projects to attack
Mike Munger
Lake Tapps, WA

defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

That sounds like a great fuel solution. The ethanol in the gas can evaporate in a few days also. I replaced the sending unit in my gas tank but it is not the most accurate. Full is full and 1/2 full is really about 2/3 full. But heh, that's better than no gauge function when I bought the car.
Robert DeFrang
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

My '61 came to me with an Evinrude outboard motor gasoline tank "hand-pump bulb" installed on the gas line 12 inches from the carb. It works great. Makes me feel like I'm going bass fishing. If anyone needs a photo of it, just ask.

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
MMunger

Post by MMunger »

The bulb sounds like an easy solution. Before I added the electric pump, if I hadn’t driven it in a while I’d just take the top off the air cleaner and dump a little gas into the carb and it would fire right off.

Robert, luckily there is a commercial fueling station between my house and my office that has no ethanol in any of their pumps. I almost always fill up there so I rarely have any alcohol in the fuel.
Mike Munger
Lake Tapps, WA

defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

The bulb photo is needed Rick. I don't like having to pop the hood to get the car started whether it be pump or starting fluid. However, once started the car is trouble free for daily starting.
Mike you are lucky to have PureGas. The station that had that by my place in Lake Stevens stopped carrying it. Forces me to put additive in the gas for winter. Not hard and seems to work though.
Robert DeFrang
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

I was talking with my buddy Tom earlier this evening and he installed an electric fuel pump in the back of the car and has had GREAT success with is. Not one issue since he installed it. Others I know did the same as you mentioned above in terms of installing a help pump etc. My car runs great but after sitting a week or so it takes 30-45 seconds to get it started after pumping the throttle a TON of times. I have an electric pump I intend to install in my car just to help prime the 3-port! Thoughts?

I'll get a pic of Tom's in case anyone is interested what he did.
MMunger

Post by MMunger »

Jason, what you are describing is exactly what I did. Small electric fuel pump back at the tank. I have the power for it energized via a relay that is trigger by a small momentary switch under the dash below the steering column. I now get in the car, turn the ignition on, hold the momentary switch down for 15-20 seconds, a couple pumps on the accelerator and she fires right off.

If I don’t use the electric pump I would have the symptoms you are describing. A ton of pumping and takes forever to fire.
I have always hated having to engage the starter so much, i always have the thought of burning out the solenoid or starter in my head.
Mike Munger
Lake Tapps, WA

rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

outboard motor gas pump bulb.jpeg
Robert,

Sorry, I just read your March 23 request for me to add a photo of the outboard motor hand-squeeze bulb that the previous owner installed (circa late eighties) on the fuel line of my '61 sedan.

I'll try to do so now

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”