My new addition.

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

mjabbasi
Addicted to Lincolns

My new addition.

Post by mjabbasi »

Well here it is. My 'new' 1963 convertible. I purchased this car off Hemmings from LA last year and its been with me since September '19. It took close to 3 months to cross the Pacific from CA to Japan-China-Singapore-Pakistan. I was basically looking for a 63/64 convertible that was mechanically sound and with a working top and saw some nice contenders on Craigslist but funnily enough, none of the sellers responded. Other websites showed cars that were either overpriced or requiring too much work, but this '63 on Hemmings kept staring me in the face. I called the seller and we discussed the details and settled on an amicable price. The car had all the necessary mechanical and top work (by John Cashman) already done on it and was stated to be an excellent driver. Cosmetically it required very little detailing. I was satisfied that this was the car for me, hence I paid and had the shippers pick it up and get it on its way.

When the car finally landed here, I was more than overwhelmed. Its absolutely beautiful. At first 'Premier Yellow' didn't seem very appealing but when I saw it in person, the shade was sober enough to satisfy me, being closer to an off-white than yellow. The car is loaded with every single option from a working a/c to am/fm radio, headlamp dimmer, speed control, tinted glass, directed power differential etc. The top mechanism has all been replaced and worked on by JC (I've uploaded below his invoice which shows in detail all the work he has done on the car) along with a new top, exhaust, tires, timing chain/gears, water pump, power steering pump, rebuilt a/c, hoses, suspension bushes, wheel alignment etc. The shippers neglected to disconnect the battery at the time the car was shipped but despite that, with a little fuel down the carb, it started up after 2-3 attempts.

What I have basically done on my end is to replace all the weatherstripping, put in a new original style trunk carpet, floor mats, universal joints and other bits here and there to bring it upto my standards. The car is technically not restored but has had a respray at some point and the engine compartment fully detailed. The interior and chrome/brightwork is all original. Mileage is 95K. I also found one of the correct ROT sheets (2 others were for other cars) which shows the relevant info.

And here are the pics. I hope I have uploaded them correctly as its been over 10 years since I uploaded any pics here. The first pic shows the car being removed from the container upon arrival. It was a very tight squeeze.
Attachments
IMG_3954.JPG
DSCN7492.JPG
DSCN7495.JPG
DSCN7494.JPG
DSCN7497.JPG
DSCN7499.JPG
DSCN7501.JPG
DSCN7502.JPG
DSCN7504.JPG
DSCN7506.JPG
DSCN7511.JPG
DSCN7513.JPG
thumbnail_58bdbd68-081e-41a5-8e63-36b046ec6713.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6422.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5396.jpg
Moin Abbasi
1961 T-Bird Convertible (Montecarlo Red)
1962 LC Sedan (Nocturne Blue)
1963 LC Convertible (Premier Yellow)
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: My new addition.

Post by action »

Very nice!!!

>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Nothing better than when everything works!
Robert DeFrang
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Congrats, MJ!

Good to hear from you. Best of luck with it.
mjabbasi
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mjabbasi »

defrang wrote:Nothing better than when everything works!

Oh yes but having said that, the previous owner has no idea if the speed control or headlamp dimmer work because he never had any need to use them and I haven't tried using them either. The radio doesn't work and that is quite common in these cars but the a/c is just fantastic. It takes all but 3 seconds to blow out ice cold air when turned on. Rear door window drop works on the left door but its moody on the right. Also the new weatherstripping all around will take some time to break in. The new piece that goes on the top front bow where it meets the windshield header was preventing the top from locking after it was raised because it was too thick so I had to replace the original rubber back. Everything else seems just fine.
Moin Abbasi
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Let us know what you do to solve the problems. Or have John Cashman shipped over for a visit!
Robert DeFrang
mjabbasi
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mjabbasi »

He's already worked on my car and left his signature as seen below and hopefully he won't be required but my friend who has a '64 convertible would love to have him visit to see to his car but JC declined citing the need for all his specialized tools and he can't leave his dog behind alone.
Attachments
83346479_3012894335441581_4107201814129016832_n.jpg
Moin Abbasi
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

I just had my 65 am/fm converted to Aurora Designs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 8.21.58 AM.png
Robert DeFrang

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”