Rear bumper

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Rear bumper

Post by frasern »

I have a sedan bumper on my 67 conv. and want to get the correct one. I have not seen one up close, but it seems only the upper bar is unique. Can the sedan bar be modified to accept the rubber, or is there a flange missing? Not having it rechromed yet, but I will after the body work is ready, and want to have all the details lined up at that time. A picture would help, thank you.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Rear bumper

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Fraser, the upper face bar is indeed the only part of the actual bumper that is different. The rubber splash shield is also different and attaches differently on a convertible vs. sedan. On a sedan, it is held to the body of the car via pushpins right below the trunk opening. On a convertible, the rubber actually attaches to the edge of the deck lid with screws, from what I remember. Would offer to send you an upper face bar, but I don’t have one for a convertible, unfortunately.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

I got one a couple years ago. Try Selluxe.
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Thank you both. I was under the impression the rubber was attached to the upper bar, but if it attaches to the trunk lid, I will check for mounting holes. My lid has been replaced in the past, and who knows what that collision shop did, but so far, I'm not impressed. It appears to be solid, but had some bondo installed over a small dent, and they likely covered the mount holes at the same time.
'62 and '67 LCC.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Turns out their are screw holes, I just missed them. So the difference must be an extended or flattened surface for the rubber to contact, which can't be altered from mine.
'62 and '67 LCC.

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”