The term "Base"

This forum is for discussion of those terms we see in car ads and articles that can be misleading, misunderstood, or misused. The goal is to arrive at definitions we all can agree upon.
Joe Nemec
Addicted to Lincolns

The term "Base"

Post by Joe Nemec »

I find it interesting The term (Base) used in selling cars more now than I have seen at anytime in the past. Whithout knowing, would any car with an single upgrade option Not be a Base? if not, what would NOT make it a Base?
'76 Mark IV
Previously owned:
'70 Continental coupe
'71 Mark III
'73 Mark IV
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: The term (Base)

Post by Dan Szwarc »

A base car can be considered a car without an option package, but there is no industry standard. I don't think you'll find it in any brochure. Shoot. A lot of companies call every model by some special term that makes them seem special even when they are the base models. The Ford Fusion site calls the base model the S model. Perhaps S is short for standard?

Remember the old school term? We called them strips or stripped-down models. The industry never used it.
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: The term "Base"

Post by Ken Stevens »

"Beer can" was a term my father-in-law used in the 70s when he sold new cars. That was the no-option, lowest-priced model heavily advertised but rarely available.
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

I thought that most cars today came optioned out as the base model, to save inventory costs. When I recently went car shopping I looked at a "base" model 2012 Cadillac CTS and was amazed to find out you could buy one with vinyl seats and manual transmission. Every option that I thought was standard was part of a package in order to make it into a real Cadillac.
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
coldplays
Lincoln Maniac

Post by coldplays »

toddallen wrote:I thought that most cars today came optioned out as the base model, to save inventory costs. When I recently went car shopping I looked at a "base" model 2012 Cadillac CTS and was amazed to find out you could buy one with vinyl seats and manual transmission. Every option that I thought was standard was part of a package in order to make it into a real Cadillac.
cool the base CTS is offered in a manual, I thought it was just the CTS-V that had a manual
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

"Base" had become a term used for cars that otherwise didn't have a trim level e.g. LE, SE, Sport, Limited, etc.

Many luxury/near-luxury brands like Cadillac, Lincoln, Buick, etc. have essentially abandoned traditional identifying trim levels as they were used in years past (e.g. D’Elegance, Elegante, Signature Series, Custom, Limited, etc.) as few now have trim badging and the "trim" names are largely just used to distinguish between option packages.
LINC400
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LINC400 »

There is going to be a base model whether there is a special trim designation for it or not.

There are options and upgrades for almost all cars. The least expensive model with only standard features is the base model for any car. This is the model that will be used most for advertising prices. It does not matter whether it is called L, LS, Custom, etc. The cheapest one with no options is still the base model.
1976 Continental Mark IV Givenchy
2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary convertible
previously owned
1979 Continental Mark V Cartier
Joe Nemec
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Joe Nemec »

I agree with what you are saying. The confusion is in seeing used cars, with most options, being advertised as 'Base'
'76 Mark IV
Previously owned:
'70 Continental coupe
'71 Mark III
'73 Mark IV
sauceman
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by sauceman »

I agree, base is the bare bones car with the standard options. this usually means the smallest motor, no power nothing, am/fm radio etc.

Then we get into trim levels(GS, LS, SEL) or special editions (Boss 302, SRT-8). I know the SRT-8 "base" came fully loaded except for NAV, rear DVD, sunroof and one or two other options. The SRT-8 is not anywhere close to the base model 300, but there is an entry level that this package comes with.

cheers
Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgement.

Yugoslavia '94' , Israel/Syria '99 , Bosnia '02 , Afghanistan '08-'09

My 1977 Town Car build
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

LINC400 wrote:There is going to be a base model whether there is a special trim designation for it or not.

There are options and upgrades for almost all cars. The least expensive model with only standard features is the base model for any car. This is the model that will be used most for advertising prices. It does not matter whether it is called L, LS, Custom, etc. The cheapest one with no options is still the base model.
Technically, yes. I was taking the original post to be referring to an increased use (Joe's view) of the term "Base" (not base S, base LS or whatever) due to a change in trim level use.

Sure, from the beginning all "base" model cars regardless of trim name were...well, base (lower case) models.
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

Joe Nemec wrote:The confusion is in seeing used cars, with most options, being advertised as 'Base'
Where are you noticing this...online? Some online classified sites use the word "Base" (or similar) by default when the poster doesn't include or know the trim level of the car...regardless of equipment level.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Moving this thread to the Automotive Glossary sub-forum. It is not related to authenticity.
LCont72
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by LCont72 »

ContiFan wrote:
Joe Nemec wrote:The confusion is in seeing used cars, with most options, being advertised as 'Base'
Where are you noticing this...online? Some online classified sites use the word "Base" (or similar) by default when the poster doesn't include or know the trim level of the car...regardless of equipment level.
Absolutely correct! If someone were listing a '50s Lincoln on eBay, the drop-down menu when setting up the auction does not contain Capri, Cosmopolitan, Premiere, Lido, etc., so it ends up being "Lincoln (Base)" by default.
Joe Nemec
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Joe Nemec »

Wow! it's been over 5 years ago that I said that!
'76 Mark IV
Previously owned:
'70 Continental coupe
'71 Mark III
'73 Mark IV
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Still got those Lincolns, Joe?
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator